-30-

I didn't want to leave Paisley. I almost got sick at the thought of leaving her there, lying on the pavement.

I wanted to bury her, or at least put her to the side of the road, but it would be too dangerous. The cable still formed a serious hazard, and we knew couldn't risk it.

I suggested we'd take a detour, convincing myself it was for the kids, but deep down, I knew I would have just as much trouble passing her.

It wasn't even that I didn't want to see her dead body, I'd sat next to her for hours before. The thought of having to abandon her just felt wrong.

So I pushed it away, and gladly walked the extra seven minutes.

The closer we got to St. Joseph's, the more I started to feel as if we were in some kind of old horror movie, where an abandoned amusement park gets infested by demons. Though my old school wasn't really as cheery as an amusement park, I still had a lot of good memories there, and it felt weird to see the place all wrecked like that. It was an old building, with red brick walls that were now covered in dust and dirt. Some of it's windows were broken, like the ones in the Ugly duckling. I could feel a shiver go down my spine as my mind registered the contrast between my happy, primary school memories and the scene I saw in front of me.

"Wow," Nathan whispered.

We were walking in a line; Nathan, then Haley, then Peter, then me.

As we neared the doors, I felt Peter grab hold of my hand.

I give it a small squeeze to reasure him.

Our steps were synchronized, almost like those of soldiers going to war.

We got to the door and stood before it, hand in hand.

"You want to...?" Nathan asked.

"Yeah."

He chuckled slightly, probably to try to lift the mood.

"No ninja kicks this time, huh?"

I shook my head and snickered.

"I learned my lesson."

I lifted my free hand and twisted the doorknob.

The hall wasn't any warmer than it had been outside. On the walls hung artworks made by the pupils. Haley immediately got exited and ran forwards. Peter did the same. Curious, Nathan and I followed.

They stopped about halfway through the corridor.

"Nathan, look!"

Haley was pointing at a hand-turkey that was framed above her head. In a neat cursive -obviously the teacher's handwriting- was written 'Haley Stratford'.

Nathan stepped closer to examin it.

"Beautiful!" he said, "Look at all those colours! And do I see some Monet-inspired elements in there?"

Haley smiled broadly as Nathan praised her work like an art critic.

Meanwhile, Peter was tugging on my skirt. I followed, expecting him to show me his drawing as well.

When we arrived at yet another framed drawing. This one was a drawing of a family. I recognized a tall man: the father, a woman sitting in a chair: the mother, two little boys standing hand in hand, and next to them a slightly taller girl.

I read the name  that marked it. 'Cameron Robins' .

I felt my heart sink.

Cam.

Peter was exited, so proud of his brother. It was endearing yet heart-wrenching.

"It's..." I had to clear my throat before continuing.

"It's beautiful."

"It is, right? He's such a good drawer! Haley said he's like Picasso. Do you know Picasso?"

"Yeah..." my voice was hoarse, "Yeah, I know him."

Peter smiled.

"He's cool. He draws funny faces. Just like Cam."

I nodded. "He does. Maybe Haley will let Cam borrow those nice pencils you bought her."

"You think so?"

"If you ask nicely, I'm sure of it."

Peter ran back to where Haley and Nathan were standing, probably to ask that exact question, even though the pencils were back at the diner and Cameron was...

I realized that Cameron might not be as far as I thought. At least that's what I hoped.

When the others reached me again, I informed on which room they thought would be best to check out next.

"Isn't there some kind of gym around here?" Nathan asked.

"There is!" Haley said.

"Across the playground, through the tardis-doors."

"Through the what?"

"The tardis doors." Peter explained.

"The big blue doors with the little squares on them."

"Oh," I laughed. "I remember those!"

We continued on, down the corridor, onto the playground. The grey tiled floor was just as I remembered it. A slide and a set of bright red swings were perched on the right side. On the left was a vegetable garden in which grew tomatoes and carrots in the summer. Now, it was empty, apart from some weeds.

Right in the centre were the tardis doors.

We crossed the playground and when we reached them, Nathan pushed against the doors.

"It's jammed," Haley, Peter and I said at the same time.

"You have to punch it." Haley added.

Nathan looked at her with a confused expression on his face.

I chuckled.

"Like this."

I stepped forwards and, with an open hand, slammed against the door with as much impact as I could muster. It was a trick I'd learned in year three and I'd remembered it up 'till then.

The door swung open, creeking loudly as it did.

In front of us, we found a scene incredibly similar to what we'd seen at the Youth Music Centre.

Though now, cots were joined by thick mats.

Dozens of heads turned to us.

I rapidly scanned the room. I recognized a few neighbours, and waved at them as we made eye contact.

Suddenly, I heard a farmiliar voice, calling out our names.

"Peter! Charlie!"

My head whipped around to the far right corner of the room. There, in full football-attire, stood my baby brother.

"Cam!" Peter shouted, as he ran forwards towards his brother.

I ran right behind him.

We jumped over cots, stepped on half a dozen toes and nearly tripped over a sleeping bag, but we reached him in no time.

What followed was perhaps the tightest, most sufficatingly close group hug in history.

I looped my arm over to the other, pinching it.

I smiled as the pain spread through my limb.

It was real! It was completely, undoubtedly, absolutely real.