-Epilogue-

Paisley and Grace both got beautiful funerals.
They were held at the end of November, in the midst of the rebuilding of the city.
I went to both of them with my entire family, Greg included. Mum and dad had been surprised, to say the least, when he'd showed up at our doorstep after we'd been allowed back into the house. He was staying with us until he found a new job, which was more than fine with me. I'd missed my older brother, and we had some serious catching up to do.
The house had been pretty full those first few months. Since Nathan wasn't eighteen yet, he and Haley couldn't legally live on their own, so they moved in with us for a bit. The twins were ecstatic to have their friend with them at all times, and I didn't really have any objections either.
Nathan's parents had gotten a divorce around Christmas, causing him and Haley to move back in with his mum. I was happy for them, though it was weird not having them around as much.
Hainsworth's trial was dragging. Nathan, Greg and I had all needed to testify, as had a bunch of the other Atkinson & Coles employees. There were quite a few of them carrying responsibility as well, resulting in separate trials and causing Hainsworth's to take up a ton of time. The document had been opened after being in the hands of the police for less than day, and there was enough incriminating evidence to make sure Hainsworth and others on the team would face some serious jail time, just as soon as all the formalities were handled.
Still, the events didn't seem to ever leave my mind. I always switched channels whenever the case was on the news, unable to look at the face that had caused so much hurt. It was a good thing summer break was here to take my mind off of things.

I studied the faint line on my right hand. It was barely noticeable now, and someone who didn't know about the stitches that had once been there, probably wouldn't be able to see any difference.
Every time I looked at it, I remembered those days on the road. The adventure, the loss...
A knock on the door startled me. I knew who it was.
"Come in," I called out.
I didn't look up as the mattress dented next to me. Nathan put his hand on mine, covering the faint scar. I looked up with a smile. He was wearing a green Camp Artemis tee. A gold bow and arrow decorated the front, the back had his name written on it.
By the end of the summer it would be joined by all the little campers' autographs.
"Hey." I said.
"Hey." His expression mimicked mine. After being out in the sun for a couple of weeks, he'd accumulated an impressive collection of freckles. His hair was messed up and slightly curly at the top, forming a halo around his head.
"We're going to start on campfire stories soon." he continued, "Are you coming?"
I nodded, the smile resting on my face.
"Wouldn't miss it."
"Great." He kissed my forehead, then got up and walked back outside.
I looked down at my hand again and traced the scar, all the way to the Camp Artemis wristband that sat just below my palm. Then I rose, picked up a jacked and marched outside.
Around the campfire sat eighteen children, all chatting and laughing. On the left side sat Nathan, Haley, Peter and Cam. I joined them, then turned my attention to the other kids.
"So," I began, "Who's ready for some stories?"
The kids cheered and I smiled.
Boy, did I have some stories to tell.

The End