Chapter 23

~Carli's POV~

I had been ignoring Kyle for days now. From what I've heard, he's moved on. Sabrina is my guess, but it could be Katie.

Kyle doesn't care, so why did I?

He caused so much heartbreak, so much hurt, he played me. So why did I still care?

Soccer was ending soon, unless we made it to sectionals. Otherwise our season ends in this game, against a team we have previously beat.

The last game was tonight, and the boys team decided they'd all come to support us. Which means Kyle would be there.

I didn't want to see Kyle again, but I didn't have a say in if he came.

It was upsetting that it'd be my last game in high school, but relieving I'd be playing college soon after.

As the warm-up started, reality hit me, that this is my last official game with this team, and we had to make the most of it. No matter who was here.

When the boys team came, everyone knew. They were decked out in face paint, signs, school shirts, and foam fingers.

Then there was Kyle

He had Sabrina on his arm, a sign with the team logo, and my number on his forehead.

At site of him, my blood boiled. I didn't want him parading Sabrina around like he was doing. It hurt. I knew I still had feelings for him, but I was to stubborn to say so.

Seeing him also made me want to fight harder in this game. I could channel all my anger into the game, and hold back nothing.

"You okay?" Caroline asked, as we lined up for the anthem.

"I will be," I whispered. "As soon as she leaves."

The anthem ended soon, then we were whisked to the bench. The starters were called out, and the game started.

Within the first couple minutes, I had scored, off a beautiful pass from Autumn.

The game was basically over in the first half. I had scored four goals, and assisted two before the half ended.

Going into the second half we played just as fierce. Leading 6-0 helped a lot in confidence. Which was both good and bad.

Within the last couple minutes they scored, but so did we.

I'm proud to say that we won our last regular season game 7-1, but now was tryouts for sectionals, which, if I make it, was going to be so much harder.

The harder part would be facing Kyle after the game. So my solution was to avoid him at all costs.

Which wasn't going to be as easy as I had first thought.

After our coach talked to us, she had us leave the field as a team, two by two.

As soon as we stepped off the field, we were swamped by family, friends, teammates, and classmates.

The win was truly giant towards school pride for many. Although it wasn't the hardest game we had played.

Members of the boys team immediately were there congratulating us. Unfortunately Kyle was included.

Though Caroline and Connor looked adorable, as usual.

My first thought was to find Calum and Sam, knowing they were here.

"Carli!" I heard a voice yell.

Then I saw Calum pushed through the crowd, Sam holding onto his hand for life.

I immediately ran towards them, shoving Kyle out of the way, as he started to walk towards me. I jumped onto Calum, and fell on Sam.

"You played well young padawan." Calum stated, laughing.

"I don't understand your Star Wars references! I've told you a million times, that movie makes me fall asleep." I said, exasperated.

"You're both weird." Sam chuckled.

"I'm being serious about playing well tonight though." Calum said.

"Why thank you numbskull!" I said to Calum.

"I was trying to be nice and everything!" Calum stated.

"Well that's sad." I said, mocking his pout.

Then I saw Kyle come up next to me.

"Can I steal you for a minute?" Kyle asked, as polite as possible.

"Why?" I asked. "You've already made it quite clear you like Sabrina, not me, so please stay away."

"I can't do that..." Kyle whispered. "Please, just a couple minutes?"

"Three." I said.

"What?" Kyle asked.

"Three minutes, then you're done." I said.

"Deal." Kyle said, defeated.