Epilogue

Going to college with Kyle was the best decision I've ever made. I didn't know at the time what would happen to us. Now, I couldn't be happier.

Eight years later, I'm still playing for Portland Thorns, and Kyle still playing for Portland Timbers. Not just that, but we both play for the national American team.

Not just that, but we were married straight out of college. Which brings us to a new part of our story.

Today is our son, Caiden Alair Williams, birthday. He is turning three, and throughout all that's happened to me in life, I'm proud to say he's my biggest accomplishment. Not only is he able to talk up a storm, but he loves soccer, his family, and our dog. A few months back, we had him signed up for a youth soccer program, and he falls in love with the sport more everyday.

Unfortunately, this year, his birthday is the same day as Kyle's game. Although Caiden loves watching his father play, I wish his special day was more about him.

"Mommy, when we be at daddy's game?"Caiden asked.

"We'll be there in a minute Caiden. Are you excited?" I asked him.

"Yeah! I got daddy's jersey on, and I'm all ready!" He said, puffing out his chest.

"Okay baby, we're here now." I said, laughing at his gesture.

"Mommy! I'm not baby! I'm big boy!" He said, with a small pout.

"You'll always be my baby." I said, hopping out of the car.

As I went to unbuckle him, I noticed he was right. Caiden was growing up, and although he'll always be my baby boy, he is getting older. Today, he's turning three. That's just one example.

"Mommy, you okay? You staring again. We gotta go to see daddy!" Caiden said, snapping me from my trance.

"Let's go!" I said, unbuckling him.

As I picked Caiden out of his carseat, I grabbed his hand. Walking into the building through the back exit so we wouldn't be swarmed by fans.

The game passed by quickly. Caiden focused on Kyle the entire time. I loved watching Kyle play, and I loved seeing how much Caiden loved it as well.

In the end, Portland won 4-0, Kyle getting a hattrick.

Caroline and Taylor both live in Portland in the house next door. Caroline didn't get the chance to play professional soccer, but seems happier being able to stay home with her daughter, Grace. Taylor did get the chance though, and plays on both the national and Portland team with Kyle.

Our children are the same age, and best friends. Although Caroline and I talk about how one day they'll be getting married.

"You ready to go see your dad?" I asked.

"Yeah! Let's go mommy!" Caiden said, dragging me out of the private box.

Running down to the field, we were looking for his dad, and my husband.

When we saw Kyle, Caiden took off running towards him. Kyle picked him up, kissing all over his face.

"Hey buddy. How did I do?" Kyle asked our son.

"You amazing daddy! I wanna play just like you!" Caiden said, with admiration in his voice.

"If you work, you will." Kyle said in response.

Then walking over to me, Caiden still in his arms, he kissed me. As the crowd cheered, I turned red as a tomato.

"Must you do that every game?" I asked him.

"Yes. I just wanna show everyone how much I love you." Kyle stated gently.

"I love you too, but we gotta get home and celebrate this monkey's birthday." I said, kissing Caiden's cheek.

"Mommy! I don't need no kisses! I'm a big boy!" Caiden said.

And in this moment, I knew, I couldn't be happier. I married the love of my life. Kyle and I now have the light of our lives. And through it all, I was here, as Carli, a soccer figure, wife, mother, daughter, friend.

I made it to Portland through hard work.

And I made it through as the soccer captain.