Prologue

It's been a week since Hunter Jackson has been missing. 

Missing.

He's disappeared.

He was gone into thin air, and the only sign of his existence was the memories people had with him.

I felt the wound of impact myself when I heard the news, the devastating announcement that my best friend was not to be seen or found in 7 days counting. Well, Hunter used to be my best friend. We grew up together ever since we were brought into the world. Every day was an adventure together, our time spent never apart.

Being neighbors, we always had the luxury of being there for one another. I came crying to him when life brought me down, and he would hug and comfort me in the most reassuring way possible.

It seems unimaginable that we could ever tear apart, but the love for one another gradually disappeared.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

I stared into glowing blue eyes that grew more intense by the second. I could feel the tears gradually building up a wall against my eyes, and fall smoothly down the side of my cheek. I was eager to scream at him, curse at him, and cry on him. The emotions that were swirling in my mind couldn't compete to the emotion that showed on my face. Hunter could not even have the courage to look up at me.

"Why?" I muttered under my shaking voice.

Silence.

"Please Hunter, speak to me!" I yelled so loud that it echoed against the walls of my room. He looked up finally, tears streaming down his face like nothing I had seen before.

"What do you want me to say, Aureylian? What?!"

"How could you do this to me? W-why?" I managed to say.

"Aurey, I mean it, I'm so sorry." Hunter tried to hug me but I brought up my hands to quickly pull away from his comfy embrace.

"I needed you there, Hunter. I needed my best friend and you didn't even show up. Not only this, but instead you spent your time with her."

Hunter's eyes glistened with tears that showed pain that I couldn't endure to look at much longer.

A long moment of the deepest and most painful silence passed as Hunter and I sat there with no more words to try and fix the damage.

"Goodbye, Hunter," I managed to whisper as I turned my head from him to hide my face and emotions. My heart broke in this moment. The special place he has always fulfilled in my heart could not be felt any longer.

"I'm sorry," was all was left to say as he got up and left the room.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Two years passed since then. Hunter and I never spoke about that night. We found our own new friends to be with whom made us happy. However, every day was the single reminder of the friendship we once shared. Sure, we talked since then, but anything we had between us wasn't the same as before.

When I heard word from my parents that Hunter went missing, I felt a part of my heart sink that I never knew was still dedicated to him. Every night, I would imagine that he would return home, and I would grasp him in my arms and never let go.

The thought of him lingered as I was preparing for bed. When I finally shut off the light and curled up under the cozy comforter, my mind couldn't help but keep asking the same question-- why did he run away? Of course, I didn't know him well enough anymore to think of a reasonable answer.

I couldn't bring myself to sleep tonight. My mind couldn't erase the thought of him. The entire house was quiet and I knew that my brother Wyatt and my parents were well passed asleep. As every long moment passed, my heart ached more and more at the thought.

I missed him.