Chapter 8

"Hunter," I whispered as I sat up from the grassy bed.  He sat up and took my hand, which made my heart feel even more dense in my stomach for what I was about to say next.

"Hunter, I have to go back home." I watched as his eyes grew from love and caring to confused and hurt. He remained silent, so I figured I should say something to fill in the blank.

"It's just-- I can't leave my family, my brother, my mom and dad, they're probably worried sick. I love that you wanted me to come with you, but there is a part of me that wants you to stay."

The silence only felt even more painful. I gripped his hand tighter. His eyes fell to the ground and he seemed to be lost in thought.

•••••••••••••••
<Hunter's Perspective>

I honestly don't know how to feel. One moment we are running away together by each others side like we used to be, as if nothing changed. Now, she wants to go back and lose the adventure we already started.

Is there any other way? Any possible way I can change her mind?

Maybe I don't need to. My mind suddenly thought of something beyond the person who I am.

No, I kept telling myself. But a part of me kept leaning yes. I love her, I don't want to return to the society which abused me and didn't suit my type of lifestyle, and I'm not leaving her either. She is my last and only hope.

•••••••••••••••
<Aurey's Perspective>

His eyes finally looked up, staring into mine as if I was the last person on earth.

"No." The word escaped his mouth as he gripped my hand back. What? No? What is that supposed to mean?

"No, Aurey." He restated. My hand tried to slip away from his tight grip, but his seemed to hug mine as if I was the last part of the earth.

"Hunter---what do you mean, 'no,'" I asked as my heart beat started to quicken. My mind was starting to twirl. Am I afraid, I thought to myself. The more my imagination took over by what he meant, the more I felt assured I needed to go home.

"Hunter, where's  the direction to home?" I asked, starting to get up from where I sat. I gasped a small breath as he pulled me down again, which reminded me of his body strength.

"Stop it, Hunter, your starting to scare me," I whispered. His deep enchanting eyes wouldn't leave mine.

"Aurey," he said as his other hand took grip of my only free hand, "I need you." His head started leaning towards mine, and the closer he came, the more I felt frozen to move. His lips suddenly met mine, and they intertwined like two missing halves. Where was was he going with this? Is he trying to change my mind? A part of me doesn't want to separate, like this is what is meant to be. But a small part of me is telling me to turn around, go home, or this might turn ugly. After what seemed like an eternity of connecting, we both separated. I gasped as I realized the lack of breath I've had for the passed few minutes.

"Stay with me," he said, turning my heart around and around. What if I do stay with him? What I'm feeling now is making this a lot more confusing then I planned. I knew I was starting to change my mind. I can't, I need my brother, my parents, my friends. I knew I couldn't have it all. Hunter wanted it one way and I needed it the other.

"I'm going home, Hunter, I'm sorry." I said as I got up and pulled my hands out of his grip with all my strength. I picked up my backpack and started walking in the direction we came. I looked back at Hunter, who was still sitting on the grass bed looking down at the hand I was once holding only moments ago. With every step I took, I felt even more sorry for leaving him alone, but I needed to do this for me. This was something I couldn't give up. I listened to the sound of birds chirping in the trees above me, and the twigs and leaves breaking under my feet. Suddenly my mind was aware that my feet were not the only sound of walking in the woods. I started to turn around, but as I did, my hands were both forcefully taken in a grip I was familiar with now.

"Hunt-" I could barely fit in before one hand grasped at my mouth. Out of instinct, I thrashed and yelled, but my screams were only muffled by the stranger.

I struggled as best I could, twisting my body, kicking behind me, but nothing seemed to overwhelm them enough to get away.

As I struggled, distracting thoughts toxicated my mind. Was this Hunter.. I didn't know if the better answer would be a yes or no. But I knew his grip, his scent, his strength. I knew.

"Hunter!!" I repeated as his both his hands tried to hold me down. After a few more thrashes, I manage to hit him  hard enough for him to release me, but only for a moment.

As I started to turn around, I was pushed hard and stumbled over into the ground. Hard.

The air was pushed out of me, leaving me coughing on the ground in agony. It took me a few seconds, but I finally regained myself. My limbs forced me to get up on two feet.

But nothing could prepare me for what happened next.

A bash hit me in the head and I fell again, only this time knowing there was no way I could get back up. Darkness started enveloping me as I shut my eyes.

"Sorry, Aurey," was the last thing my mind gathered as my body was picked up and held in someone's tight grip.

Then, everything went completely black.