Chapter 1

The sound of gushing winds and the busy NYC traffic in my ears while walking on the streets of this city which never sleeps while thinking over what the hell am I supposed to do if I don't land myself with a job within a week.

As I paced faster towards my home all the thoughts of my life just a week ago came flashing towards me reminding how happy I was to earn a full GPA in my second semester and planning my future towards being a graduate student. But soon I realized that I will never be going back there, tears filled my eyes.
I immediately wiped them out and thought about my family who is been going through tough situations and I have to be strong for them. I have to be strong for my dad. He was my support but now I have to be his and help him through this difficult situation.

I have been searching for a job since past two days and I have applied for almost every company around here but haven't received a single call. I have to keep trying and get a job as soon as possible.

When I reached the walkway of my home, I saw an unknown car standing there. Who might be here at this time, I thought.

As I entered the house I saw three men in suits sitting with my dad who looked very tensed and my mother with her eyes welled up and looked like she was about to cry. She strode from there to the kitchen. I went behind her to ask what was the problem and who are these people.

"Mom, who are they and why are you crying?" I asked afraid that she might burst out crying and that is what exactly happened. She started crying and put her head on my shoulder. I tried to soothe her down.

"Mom, please tell me what happened, is there any other problem?"

"Alyssa, they are from a company where we have our most of the debts and they have come to ask for a repayment within a month. How will we repay them within a month?" She was sobbing all the while telling me and she started crying again. I tried to calm her down made her drink water and took her to her room to rest.

When I came back downstairs I saw those people had already left and my dad had his hands wrapped around his head.
He must be extremely tensed, I thought. I have to do something. I first went into the kitchen and brought a glass of water and handed it to my dad. He looked up and meekly smiled at me, I gave him the glass of water and then asked him what was the problem?

"Alyssa they want the repayment within a month. What will I do now? How will I repay them I have already lost so much", he said.

"Dad, everything will be fine. We will work out something. Did they say anything else?"

"Yeah, they said the boss wants to meet me and they have asked me to come to his office tomorrow."

"Dad, I think I should also come with you, maybe I can talk to him and request him to extend the date of repayment".

"No Alyssa, you don't have to. I will go and talk to him."

"No dad, please let me come with you. Please". Dad said ok and went back to his room.

I have to somehow convince the company owner so that he gives us some more time, I thought to myself and also I need to get a job at earliest possible maybe then I can tell him that I can repay him in installments. Those thoughts kept me awake  until midnight and then I fell asleep. 

I woke up to the sound of my alarm and headed for a shower to get ready. I took a warm shower to calm down my mind from all the thoughts that have kept my mind occupied since last few days. I just hope the meeting goes well. I wore a lined formal shirt and black pants and tied up my hair. I dint bother about my makeup but then I never do think of applying any makeup. I looked at myself one last time in mirror satisfied with myself but the worry in my eyes was still visible and  with that I went downstairs trying to hide the emotions in my eyes.

Mom was serving breakfast to dad and she put up a plate for me as well. I sat down at the table and looked at my dad. He did not look good at all. I could see the tension on his face.

"Dad, everything will be fine. Please don't be so worried"I said trying to calm him down. He just nodded at me and finished his breakfast. I finished mine too and we were ready to leave.

Mom hugged me and said  in a weak voice "Alyssa, Please make sure your papa is ok. He has been through a lot and this is taking a toll on his health. I don't want anything happening to him." I assured her that I ll take care of him. I hugged her back, kissed her cheek and followed my dad to his car.