Chapter Two

The storm continued to pour frigid rain down upon them as the men exited the shack and began mounting their horses.

"What should we do with this?" Murtagh questioned, pushing the girl violently in front of him.

Her face whipped around and glared at him.

"We can't leave her here, she could be a English spy." The leader Dougal grumbled.

"The Hell I am!" she argued.

Dougal let out a deep sigh, "Then the only option is bring her along until we know for sure if she is lying."

He then pushed her towards Jamie's horse, "If you try anything I will slit your throat, do you understand me Lass."

She looked up at the injured man, happy she wouldn't be forced to ride with Murtagh or worse Dougal. Escape was futile at the moment, so she decided to bide her time. Jamie outstretched his hand, an offer to help her mount up. She ignored the gesture, as Dougal bent down to give her a leg up, she grabbed a large chunk of mane and pulled herself gracefully in front of him.

After shifting into a semi comfortable position Jamie began jerking behind her.

"What are you doing?" She snapped, looking over her shoulder at him.

" You're shaking like a leaf, I'm getting my plaid loose to cover ye."

"No need, I'm fine," She insisted.

"You're rattling so hard it's thrashing my shoulder. It will keep us both warm, but I canna do it one-handed,"He groaned as the maneuvering jostled his tender shoulder.

She huffed, turning to grab the corners of the fabric, gently she wrapped them around her. Until that moment she hadn't realized just how cold she was, or for that matter how afraid. Jamie's heaviness behind her was remarkably comforting as they rode through the night. The warmth that radiated from him allowed her to slip into the realm of sleep a few short times but when the golden bursts of sunrise rose around them she found herself uneasy as she discovered where they were.

" Are we near Clach a' Choillich?"

Some of the men slowed their horses and turned to her, the perfect gaelic that flowed from her lips startled them?

"Aye, Cocknammon Rock is just over that next ridge." Jamie replied.

"We have to get out of here now!" She screeched, fear showing plainly on her face.

"And just why would we do that lassie?" Mocked Dougal.

"Before you found me in the woods, I overheard there were movements of a British patrol heading this way."

" Aye, It's a Bonnie place for an ambush." Called one of the men.

As if Hell itself appeared in front of them, shouts and gunfire echoed all around them. The men jeered with anticipation of a battle. Jamie yanked his bad arm from the belt tying it down and twisted the girl off his horse, drawing his blade in one smooth motion.

"Hide yourself?" He growled, rampaging into the gunfire.

She ran into the brush as fast as her legs would carry her, branches and limbs scratched at her but the pain would not stop her from running. She knew she had lost her dirk before Murtagh had found her, so being weaponless made the situation that much more dire. Suddenly the brush ledge ended, and she leapt down to a dirt path that winded away from the cock's tail.

The beat of a horse's canter pounding the earth behind her forced her into a sprint, her dark hair whipping around her.

" You're a quick one,"

It was Jamie's brough, deep and melodic to her ears. She slowly turned to look at the highlander. Blood stained his chest and face, his breast heaved as his heart began to slow.

"Your bleeding."

"Isna my blood, we need to go the others will be waiting for us upstream."

She cocked her eyebrow, frowning at him. "I'm not going anywhere with you."

"Yes, you are." He hissed, dismounting his horse, bloody sword in hand.

She began stepping away from him as he moved towards her.

"You going to run me through if I don't obey you Scotsman?"

"No, but you don't look that heavy. If you won't come with me I'll throw you over my shoulder." He bellowed.

" No you won't," she began backing up. "Not if ye can't catch me."

Jamie cursed in Gaelic but sprinted after her. It didn't take long before his long strides made him able to catch up to the fleeing girl. He grabbed her from behind and held on tightly as she thrashed. When she finally calmed he sheathed his blade and threw her over his shoulder.

"Your a fiery filly I'll give you that." He smiled, heaving her up onto his horse.

As they rode to meet the others his mood once again became sullen, the excitement of battle becoming weariness and fatigue.

Seconds slowly became minutes, minutes sluggishly transformed into hours and the day was soon swallowed by the night. Its chill once again biting deep into the woman's bones, but her will kindling the warmth within her spirit. Nothing had ever broken her, and this situation would be no different.