Chapter Seven

The sky burst with colors as the prisoner was dragged kicking and screaming from the pit. His guards mocking him all the way to the field which would serve as his place of execution. Jamie slowly descended the stairs from Daniea's room, each step awakening the inhumanity he hadn't fathomed he could possess. He hated Jack Randall more than words could express but this... this was a different kind of hate, this was sheer and utter bloodlust.

Awaiting him was Colum and Dougal along with most of the castle tenants. Everyone beginning to cheer once they saw Jamie, they all craved retribution for Daniea and they all knew who was best suited to claim it. Murtagh stood at the top of the hill, a weary look on his face. He knew this was the right thing to do but was also very worried for Jamie. He knew that once a man crossed a certain line there was no returning, and this situation could prove to be that such test.

"Just get it over already!" The prisoner screamed at Jamie.

Jamie stood there for what seemed like years, studying the man who signed Daniea's death sentence tremble with fear.

"Robert O'Connell, do you have any last words?" Dougal questioned.

Robert stood up straight, attempting to act cocky one last time.

"Do yer worst." He snickered.

Rage blazed within Jamie's eyes as he pulled his long knife and whipped towards him unleashing the true coward he was facing. Robert dropped to the ground, struggling against his chains.

This stopped Jamie in his tracks, "Unchain him.."he stated.

Colum nodded, signaling for his guards to obey.

He then reached over grabbing Rupert's long knife, tossing it to the prisoner.

"Pick it up!" He growled.

Robert kept trembling on his hands and knees.

"Now!"

Slowly his still bloody fingertips found their way around the hilt, and without notice he charged.

A smirk spread over Jamie's face as he dodged the multiple attempted blows by the man. The singing of the blades meeting in mid air rang out through the moors, an all too familiar aria.

"You've last longer than most against me," Robert Chimed, "I had that Lassie under control within minutes."

Jamie soon began to lose his patience.

"You know that whore couldn't even scream because I had her choking on her own filthy blood." Robert smiled.

With those words Jamie lost all control, a ferocity taking over his being as he slashed him across the waist dropping him like a stone. Kicking him hard in the chest he tumbled backwards, screaming in agony as Jamie dragged his knife through the flesh of his leg just like he had Daniea.

He then began to stomp and kick him while he was bleeding on the ground. Robert tried to crawl away but Jamie relished in his reluctance to die, he pulled him up forcing him to stand. Robert stared into Jamie's vicious gaze,"She asked fer it." Robert spat.

Minutes later Murtagh and Dougal were pulling Jamie off of Robert's lifeless body, his fists trembling with the remaining fury coursing its way through his body. It wasn't just the hatred of the man he executed he was feeling, but his own guilt burrowing within himself.

The days went by and with each passing second a mixture of fear and hope melded as news about Daniea's condition became known. She was nowhere near being out of the woods but her strength proved how strong of a fighter she was, and she was holding on. Jamie dove into his work, keeping to himself and staying as far away from the castle as could be managed. After the day on the moor he lost part of himself, and if she died he knew he the only chance to get it back would be gone forever. No words from Murtagh or his Uncle's could soothe the raging beast inside him only the hard labor that wrecked his muscles and pained him physically would subdue his thoughts.

A fortnight later as dinner was being served Geillis ran down the stairs as quickly as her feet could carry her, delivering a message to Mrs. Fitz who in turn ran upstairs creating a scene in her wake. Dougal rose from his seat and waited. Jamie and the rest of the men didn't take their eyes off of him. Jamie's heart began to beat feverishly in his chest. Mrs. Fitz soon appeared at the top of the stairs and nodded to Dougal who then slowly began to make his way upstairs not uttering a word.

"What's happening?" Angus chirped.

"Well... it looks like the Lass has finally made her way to Saint Peter." Murtagh answered removing his hat and bowing his head.

Jamie stood stunned, unable to speak.

"No, couldn't be. She was fighting so hard." Rupert stated.

"Aye."

As the realization made it's way through the Hall Dougal soon appeared at his seat once more, whispering in Colum's ear.

"As you all know Mistress Douglas had been struggling for her life for many weeks now. " His voice began to crack and a tear began to fall upon his cheek. " Tonight... she finally is at peace."

Sobbing could be heard all around the castle as Colum rose slowly from his chair, a glass in his hand.

"We all have become very attached to Daniea over this short while, she has healed many of us and has become a cherished friend and daughter to the Mackenzie Clan. Her presence will be ever missed as is all of those who we have lost." He held his glass high, "Till we meet again."

Jamie stood in silence, his mind racing. As Murtagh finished his toast he noticed Jamie was gone, he found him outside next to the horses pen kneeling in the grass rocking back and forth.

No words were spoken, he only squeezed Jamie's shoulder and let him be.

As the night sky bloomed around them Mrs. Fitz sought Jamie out.

"Jamie I need your help."

This time he did not question or argue he only obeyed. Each step up the stairs sent a cold rush of dread through him. As the door creaked open he finally saw her. Lying as if asleep in her bed, her injuries barely healed and her hands across her chest.

"I need you to take her to the surgery so we can prepare her for burial." Mrs. Fitz choked.

Jamie nodded, making his way to her side.

'I will see you down there, I need a minute." She stated rushing out of the room, the senseless loss of a young life bearing heavily on her.

He kneeled next to her never taking his eyes off her face, the nip of the cold air beginning to bite at his skin.

"I'm sorry..." He began the words lost to him, sluggishly he crept towards her kissing her cold brow.

As he rose up her eyes flickered open, cloudy white and void of life. He stumbled backwards unable to understand the gaelic flowing from her lips, suddenly she was behind him, her hands around his neck, her whispering in his ear.

With a jolt Jamie awoke, gasping for air lying in an empty stall He finally had succumb to his self induced exhaustion.

Stumbling to the trough, he splashed water on his face slowly returning to reality. Alec appeared in the distance carrying a basket.

"You look like Hell Lad, you really need to quit this infernal nonsense, I'm going to have to get new horses to work with if you don't stop." He joked.

"I'm fine."

"Ahh well, here's supper. Mrs. Fitz thought you might be hungry since you've turned into a hermit."

Jamie nodded, refusing to look at him. Alec soon got the message he wanted to be left alone and began to leave.

Halfway up to the castle he stopped and turned, " Oh I forgot to mention, not that you would care in the least but she woke up."