Chapter 2

"We're close." Elm announced. 

The group came up to the cockpit and stared out the windows. 

A nearby planet could be seen, apparently completely engulfed in fire. 

"That one?" Mrax asked skeptically. 

"No, a few more down."

After a few minutes, they found the planet. 

It was a lush planet in appearance, much of it covered in an eerie glow. 

They searched for a minute and found that there was no star to illuminate the planet. 

"This one," Elm told them, "With no star to orbit in sight, it appears to draw energy from the burning one we saw."

As they got close Elm announced that they were getting ready to enter the planet's gravitational pull. 

After doing so, a loud alarm began to sound. 

"What's that?" Mrax asked. 

"Proximity monitor, but there's nothing..." 

Elm let the sentence drop as a large black object shimmered into view in front of them. "Crap, crap, crap." Elm stammered, a little louder with each repeat. "It has us in some sort of beam, pulling us in." 

"Any way we can break free?" Kaet asked. 

"I can try. With the power Kasm put into this baby she ought to be able to break out of any gravitational barrier."

Elm began to throttle the ship, careful to keep its nose aimed towards an opening between the object and the planet. 

The ship shuddered and Mrax feared it might tear into pieces. 

At last, shaking violently, the ship broke free and lurched forward. 

With too much power. 

 Elm tried to prevent a collision and nearly did, but the right corner clipped the edge of the object as it shot past and the ship began spiraling as the planet's gravity pulled them to it.

They braced for impact as a mountain began to appear in their view, and then crashed into it.