Chapter 5

In the stream, various pinks and purples darted to and fro, the fish giving off their own lights. 

The soldiers set up their small campsite together, as the others formed their own separate grouping a few feet away.

They lit a small fire and set a timer for 8 hours, having no daylight to gauge their rest by.

Elm and Mrax waded into the water, downstream from the soldiers. Elm used his natural animalistic abilities to catch a couple of fish while Mrax attempted to spear them by using his metal arm. 

Vell sat on the bank, content to watch.

Initially, the soldiers fussed about them disturbing the fish, but quickly changed their minds when they saw that a majority of the fish were heading back upstream toward their baits and hooks.

When they finally returned and sat around the fire, a total of five fish were caught by Mrax and Elm, allowing everyone their own. 

They were not sure how many the soldiers managed, but it was known by a bit of loud arguing that a few of them had to share.

Clavis and Gathen helped clean the fish Mrax and Elm brought to them, making sure they were safe. 

Three of the fish were pink, and two were purple, but all of them passed what both Clavis and Gathen knew as non-poisonous.

They made a meal of the fish, along with a small portion of the bread that was stored in their packs.

Kaet watched Vell as they ate. 

He of course, did not eat as they did, but as she watched, the ground around him would dim, and then suddenly return to its vibrancy. His eyes were closed as she watched. He was apparently causing the reaction with the ground.

"What's going on there?" She asked the group quietly, not wanting to disturb Vell.

"What do you think Gathen?" Clavis asked after several moments of observation.

"It appears as though the crystalline makeup of his physiology allows him to, or perhaps he has to, absorb energy for sustenance. Much like the golemites that lurk in the deep foliage, growing off the energies the plants and planet give off. Considering that most of our planet emits such energies throughout, I'd say he will be plenty more than full during the rest of the trip."

"Very good, my boy." Clavis complimented him, "we've been going over a variety of subjects. Chemistry, biology, geology. The boy has a knack for the sciences."

Gathen yawned, his belly full. 

"I agree with that." Mrax said, laying back. Within minutes he was snoring. 

Kaet tried to stretch out and unwind, laying on lush, green loam that covered the river banks, causing it to glow gently beneath her. As she tempted sleep, her mind began to wander again. 

After almost an hour of being taunted with sleep, she couldn't stand it, and got up. 

To her surprise, the soldiers were already asleep.

Clavis was still up, his thin frame visible seated down by the stream.

She walked over and sat down next to him, the ground illuminating around her as she lowered herself onto it.

"Something troubling you?"

Kaet wasn't surprised. "Yeah, actually. You?"

"No, I don't really sleep much. Don't need to. But what I can do is sift through your emotions and see why you feel so confused."