Chapter 3

As they regained their bearings, they found the ship leaned over on its left tip, the broken right tip aimed upward.

They checked themselves, finding only minor scrapes and bruising.

They struggled a minute with the ramp, which had been jammed by the impact.

After minor debate, Mrax and Vell busted out the cockpits windows and they climbed out.

Asides from the wreckage, the view around them was awe inspiring.

The plants and trees around them, even the very ground at their feet, seemed to be aglow. Purples and light greens were prevalent; some of the flowers and mushrooms radiated warm orange hues, while others emitted light pink or almost white light.

Down below the mountain, they could see a yellowish glow and the outline of several buildings.

"Looks like a city down there. Hopefully we can find aid. If not, maybe we can figure out the cause of the signal." Mrax told them.

He led the way, turning his metal arm into a large blade to cut through the small patches of undergrowth that they came upon. 

As he would slice through a plant, its light would go out. 

"Shame." Elm stated while perched on Vells shoulder as he watched one such plant go dark.

After what felt like hours, they finally came upon the edge of what turned out to be a city.

Unlike the dense forestry they had just hiked through, the city was lit by many unnatural sources, ranging from candles to fluorescent bulbs. Occasionally, a plant could be found, planted along the sidewalk or hanging from buildings.

Among the small buildings, a large, square structure stood out, near the center. 

Very vividly they could see the numbers of an electronic clock, making out the time: 13:27

They went on into the city, finding its inhabitants to be mostly friendly, with the streets teeming with vendors trying to sale their wares. 

The people were from many different races'. Some of them were blue skinned, while others were red. There were tall people and then small people; some round like a ball, and some thin like a pole. 

Several of them had many eyes, while others had just one. 

Many had tattoos and scars, and then some had technology infused to their bodies to the extent that you couldn't see where the person began, and the machine ended.

Kaet spied several amongst the crowd that were races unfamiliar to her. 

A couple appeared to have bodies like plants, but with faces and limbs. Prominently, some appearing to be a mushroom race stood out, crowded together at a vendor of their own. They stood easily head and shoulders taller than most others crowding the streets, with thin bodies and arms.

Roaming among the vendors, seen at random, were armed soldiers. All of them wore the same style of dark metallic suit and mask, each with a menacing rifle in their hands. 

Kaet caught a figure from the corner of her eye, and turned to see a black robed figure watching them.

Seeing Kaet, the figure turned and disappeared down an alley. 

Figuring it someone finding her appearance unusual, Kaet ignored what she had seen and continued behind Mrax.

Mrax finally built the gumption to ask a nearby vendor where they might find parts for a ship.