Chapter 14

The light burned right up to the edge of the city. 

Shouts and screams filled the air, rivaling the noise of gun-fire and swords clashing.

Smoke filled the air so thick, that the light from the new sun could not be seen. 

The electric numbers of the clock in the center flashed and glitched, busted in several spots.

"Where do we go?" Kaet had to shout to get her brothers attention.

"To find my father!" Gathen ran into the city. 

"Ah hell." Mrax sighed as they ran after him.

They passed many small skirmishes, most of which appeared to be heavily one sided. 

In spots they saw soldiers picking off people as they rushed them with an array of sharpened objects in hand. Yet another, a group of villagers cornered a few soldiers and beat on them with anything they had.

A soldier was knocked through a door next to Mrax as they passed. 

He bumped into him roughly and turned to hit him.

Mrax shoved a bladed hand through his chest in retaliation and tossed him aside.

"What?!?" He shrugged seeing Vell and Elm standing beside him.

"As much as this ain't our war, he was going to attack me." 

"No need to explain," Elm cocked the hand cannon he had held onto, "I'd do the same."

They ran to the castle, finding the front half blown open. Inside, two men were battling near the containment unit.

Krewing wore a sinister black armor that glistened wickedly in the fire light. A large, black sword clasped firmly in his hands as he traded blows with his adversary.

The other man was wearing a royal blue armor, and on his chest was no longer the faint outline of a sun, but a full, golden emblem.

Beacon.

Krewing slashed under Beacons arm, causing him to back away long enough for the group to be noticed.

"Well I'll be damned." Krewing commented at the sight of them.

"Killed the dark ones and not a single enforcer in sight. Oh, except him." He pointed with his sword.

Dave leapt from behind a pile of rubble and dropped Kaet to her knees with a well-placed kick. 

She dropped the rod and it went skidding across the floor.

He wrapped an arm under her chin and held a blade to her throat.

The containment unit began to pulsate, causing Vell to drop to a knee.

"At least you didn't leave empty handed." Krewing picked up the rod.

Mrax started toward him, but stopped, seeing Dave tighten his grip on Kaet.

"And you managed to bring light back to the people." He looked up in the sky, "well done indeed."

He held the rod outstretched toward Beacon who stood back straight.

"You can't win this. I have the rod now. A single touch and 'poof!', away with you."

Beacon looked over at Gathen.

"Hello son."

"Oh brother," Krewing laughed, "the boy never knew? Haha, you didn't just keep me in the dark, you kept everyone. How you survived the ambush I set is another matter."