chapter twenty-one || #shedemon

"Look at this," Aura scoffed, picking up a framed photo from a table. "Disgusting."

"I think that's cute," Chris argued. 

"Cute for a she-demon," Aura scowled, tossing the photo back onto the table. "Remind me why I came here?"

"To support your brother's life choices. It isn't every day your twin brother gets engaged," he replied. "Stop complaining. Your stepmom's over there."

Aura groaned loudly and buried her face in Chris's neck. "Don't make me talk to her. She'll just-"

"Aurora, darling!" Her stepmother's shrill voice pierced the music-filled air. The house was filled with family and friends, and other people Aura didn't care about. "How are you?!"

"I'm good," Aurora smiled, turning to face the woman. Her eyes flitted between her stepdaughter and Chris and she smiled coyly.

"Did you two finally get together?" She asked with a slight grin, crossing her arms and giving them an analytical look.

Aura said no at the same time Chris said yes. They shared a glance.

"Kinda," Aura admitted. "We go out on dates and shit."

"Don't swear, it isn't ladylike," her stepmom scolded. "And you know I don't approve of your clothing-"

Aura grumbled something under her breath and looked down at her outfit. It was a band shirt with the sleeves cut off tucked into a black skirt that flowed around her knees, and a worn pair of boots.

"And you know I don't care. I'm not a teenager anymore, Jean," Aura scowled. "Me and Chris are going to get drinks."

"Chris and I," Jean corrected under her breath. "We'll speak later."

"Sure we will," Aura shrugged, leading Chris away into the kitchen. "Vodka," she muttered as she rummaged through the cupboards. "I need vodka."

"You need to talk things out with Dylan," Chris said. "You need closure."

"I need vodka," she hissed, finally finding the bottle of clear liquid. Chris took it from her and she groaned. "Fine. But if she gets glassed, you better bail me out of prison."

"I promise I'll bail you out of prison if you glass her," he jokingly promised, ruffling her messy curls. "Go."

"Fuck you," she grumbled.

In Aura's eyes, Dylan looked even prettier than the last time she'd seen her. But it didn't mean she hated her any less.

"Hey, Satan Spawn," she greeted, leaning on the table next to the taller woman.

"What's up, Wicked Witch," Dylan replied. "How's life?"

"Life is a mess, so basically the same as always," Aura replied. "Let's see the jewellery, then."

Dylan held her hand out to show the gold band decorated with an obnoxious green stone on the top.

"Did he blow his life savings on this thing?" Aura snorted. "I think I'm supposed to say congratulations."

"And I think I'm supposed to say thanks," Dylan said, trying to avoid eye contact with the other woman. "You know, I totally regret doing what I did."

"Yeah, well..." Aura shrugged. "I caught you riding my brother's dick. Not something you can just forgive and forget."

"Yeah."

"You know that part that really pissed me off, Dylan?" Aura carried on, her features turning into a scowl. "You denied everything. You told everybody I was just a mistake and that you never really felt anything. Was there anything ever between us? I don't know. But you can't have what we had and then shout from the rooftops that you're as straight as they come."

"Aura, you don't understand-"

"Dylan, shut it," Aura snapped. "Don't tell me I don't understand. My dad didn't speak to me for a year when I came out. Your parents didn't give two shits when they heard us fucking. So shut up."

"I think you should go for a walk, Aurora," Dylan hissed through her teeth. "I think you should take your bags and go to the airport and leave. You aren't welcome around here anymore. I was only ever with you for your brother. What we had was fun, but it was a hobby for me. Stop kidding yourself with the idea of love. It never existed between us."

"Everything alright?" Her brother appeared, wrapping an arm around Dylan's waist, who instantly went back to her angelic act. Aura gave a fake sweet smile.

"Everything's peachy, Seamus," she cooed. "I'll be back later."

They heard the front door slam and Dylan's face contorted into a cold smile as she received a tight hug from Shay.