Evening Meal

Brigid and I were going about our usual Saturday morning cleaning when there was a knock on our door. I cleaned my hands and face with my apron as best as I could before I went to answer the door. Upon opening stood a thread bare holy man in the cold wet weather asking for alms for those that have little or nothing and if I could possibly spare him a bit of water to quench his parched throat. Grabbing a cloak I put it around his shoulders and all but dragged in the holy man, much to his protest. I called out for Brigid to come help me tend to him. When she came out the of the chamber she was cleaning and saw the bedraggled old holy man she hurried into the cooking area  to make him some warm food and water while I settled him by the fire.

  I sit the holy man down by the fire doth he does protest at such extravagance that he thinks we are showing him instead of humble hospitality that is our way. As I finally make certain that he I comfortable in the small chair by the fire Brigid brings him a mug of warm cider and some sliced bread with cheese. I then asked him to stay and warm himself while Brigid and I finished our cleaning and to partake in our mid-day meal.

  He adamantly refuses to take any more of our food and drink when there are so many without and that they need him as much as he needs them. It takes some talking from Brigid and me to finally get him to stay by telling him he will be of no use to the poor if he can not take care of himself. Relieved to have him in from the cold if only for a short time Brigid and I quickly continue with our cleaning.

  While I finished with my part of the cleaning Brigid went  and checked on the fowl on the spit I go to make sure that the holy man was still comfortable by the fire and has not taken his leave of us. Satisfied that the holy man was comfortable I went to the cooking area to help Brigid with the last preparations of the meal by preparing some red carrots and some greens. As I did this Brigid sliced some more warm bread and fowl before seeing to it that there is an extra plate and mug placed at our table.

  When the meal was ready I escorted the holy man to our meager table where he graciously blessed the meal, the cooks, and all that inhabit the home. Then we sat down to enjoy our solemnly peaceful meal that was occasionally broken by Brigid and my talk of the things that were to come the coming week. As we would do this our visitor would smile and say nothing except only to reply when asked if he would care for more food or drink .

   With the finish of the mid-day meal, Brigid and I began the cleaning of the table and cooking area while the holy man, who once again took his place in the chair by the fire, began to tell the story of the Widow of Nain. Brigid and I thought it odd to tell the story of a woman whose husband and son had died but the son raised from the dead. we said nothing but continued on with our work.

  After the cooking area was cleaned Brigid sat in the other chair and I on the floor while we talked to the holy man about the weather and such.

  With darkness drawing near I asked the old holy man if he would care to spend the night with us but  he declined saying he is expected by the abbot at St. Mary's Monastery. When rises to take his leave Brigid and I walk with him to the door but not before Brigid puts the woolen cloak over his shoulders for him to take. Reluctantly he takes the cloak and blesses her and she curtsies before returning to the fire.

  As we stood in my doorway, before he slipped into the darkness, I asked him why he told the story of the Widow of Nain. The holy man's reply was that it was his way of letting me know he knows who I am. Shaken, since many do not know of my true identity, I asked him who he believed me to be? His answer was...is...was...is... his answer was that he knows me to be the Widow of Gisborne.