Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Kevin

(Isolated Hallway) **Warning..subject matter alludes to violence non-graphic in nature**

Sitting here in the hell hole they call a prison, I can now truly understand the term 'doing hard time,' means. Your life is just basically in stasis in jail, in a holding pattern until something comes along to change the routine of day to day life on the inside. You spend everyday, every hour, every minute, and every long ass drawn out second just waiting.

You're either waiting for your sentenced time to be over, so that you can go home to a place that is no longer somewhere to call yours anymore, or for those unfortunate or I should say guilty souls who will never leave this place alive. They are waiting to be executed for their crimes. Then of course, there's the inmates that swear up and down before god and all creation that they're innocent of crimes they've allegedly committed. They are waiting for their cases to be appealed in court, or praying for some miracle that something was missed or new evidence will be presented that will set them free.

It's all an endless cycle of waiting. You get up in the morning and you wait for role call and the cell doors to be released section by section. Then you wait in line for breakfast, and then after breakfast you go about whatever duties you are assigned or you go out to the yard to breathe in the air you'll never walk freely around in again anytime soon.

People in here liked pretend in those moments that they are truly outdoors though, but the longer you're locked up behind these concrete walls, is the less the believable the pretense becomes. It is then that your faith, your endurance, and your belief in hope are put to the test. I have learned that in prison the waiting is what really fucks you up. You wait to be told when to piss, eat, sleep, go outside, work, go from point A to point B, and for some you are even waiting to see and be told when you're going to die.

Turning my aching body over in my bunk in the early morning hours before we had to start another day in this godforsaken place, I released another heartfelt sigh as I waited for morning to come. I'm trying my best not to let the hopeless depression of my current situation set in, but that's like asking me not to breathe. Another month has passed me by and although Mr. Carmichael, Isaac had warned me that the investigations into my case as well as my father's and the Councilman corruption would take time. With each passing day it just feels like I am just biding my time, waiting for the other shoe to drop so to say. I must admit that things have gotten marginally better since Papi pretended to claim me as his boy toy.

It was no hardship for me to pretend that the gorgeous man was my main squeeze. All I had to do was hang on his every word and stare at him with equal parts dread and adoration when we are in general population. The best part of it all was that Bull stayed the fuck away from me, although I have caught staring fixedly at me from time to time. I made it a point never to be anywhere other than my now single room cell under lockdown when I'm by myself.

Another thing that made me happy and grateful to the Devil for, was his actions that resulted with him reassigning that creepy ass guard somewhere else. Ever since I had pulled him aside and told him how much Officer Coleman gave me the creeps, he had done me the favor of scheduling the man to work on the complete opposite side of the prison far from where I was housed.

The chances of running into that over friendly fucker were little and none and I can actually breathe a sigh of relief that I have one less person to protect my ass from, literally. Today was or I should foreshadow that tonight was the night that those words would come back and haunt me for the good long while. The day started out like another dreary day in prison. Role call was done, cells opened, and breakfast was at least edible thanks to cook and his love of food. I had what is called recreational time to either spend the remainder of the morning in the yard, in the education rooms, in group discussions, or the library until my afternoon and evening shift in the kitchen.