Chapter 16

Chapter 16

(Papi all clean up)

Dillon

My muscles tensed and I had to grab the seat onto of my chair and hold on for dear life in order prevent myself from getting up and rushing over to Kevin's side as he stumbled. I watched as he caught his balance on the bars he was using to help him walk. Of course his physical therapist, Stan was at his side to provide support he needed, but I couldn't help it. It's been a little over two months since Kevin's been in the hospital recuperating from his injuries. The last three weeks he's been working with physical and occupational therapists to strengthen his gait after the doctors informed us the x-rays showed that his fractured pelvis has healed enough for him to get back up on his feet.

He's been doing great physically, and I had to admit thanks to Dr. Covington, Kevin is dealing better emotionally than he was right after his assault. We both have, we've been seeing the good doctor both separately and as a couple. Our sessions have been an emotional roller coaster ride, but they have helped us tremendously. I have no idea how I'm going thank Dr. Covington for all his wisdom and patience, or his husband for tirelessly fighting Kevin's legal case, and my father who is doing his best to keep me sane and supporting Kevin at the same time.

Kevin released a painful sounding groan and my heart fluttered in my chest as I watched him struggle to stay upright. I immediately shot up out of my seat only to see Stan pulling up the wheelchair behind Kevy and urging him to sit down. I grabbed a towel and the water bottle I kept at my side and rushed over to him.

"You're doing awesome baby." I opened the water bottle before handing it and the towel over to him.

Kevin gulped down half the contents of the water bottle before swiping the towel over his sweaty face and scoffed. "Yeah, eight wobbly steps before my legs gave out."

"Stop that. You know full well not to expect to be up and running after lying prone in bed for two months waiting for your bones to mend." Stan gently reprimanded Kevin.

"Yeah babe, what he said." I bent over and blew a raspberries on the side of his sweat slicked neck, and Kevin reacted just the way I wanted him to. He laughed and hunched his shoulders trying to protect the sensitive spot from my lips.

"Seriously though, Kevin you are making great progress with your therapy. My favorite saying and I'm sure you know this one, "You can't run before you walk." Stan chuckled at his own brand of quick wit.

Kevin just rolled his eyes at his therapist and finished off his water. Stan pronounced Kevin session done for today and he proceeded to tell us about his weekend plans. He's supposed to go some lavish wedding for a close friend from his childhood. Stan joked that his mother had arranged it and he hoped that he wasn't walking into his own wedding ceremony. The lord only knew how many times his mother harped about him settling down and giving her grandbabies. Stan was cool, he talked nonstop, more than I did, but I found it endearing. He had the unique ability to make you feel comfortable in his presence. He's never made us feel like we were just patients, or clients that he's paid to work with.

When we returned to Kevin's hospital room I jogged ahead of them to open the door making it easier for Stan to wheel Kevin into the room, but as I stepped into the room I stopped dead in my tracks. Stan came to an abrupt halt behind me and barely avoided running the wheelchair into the back of my legs. There were several unexpected visitors waiting for us. I eyed my father, Dr. Covington and his lawyer husband, Mr. Carmichael, and the tattooed inmate they called Papi aka F.B.I. Agent Rodriguez. The Agent looked completely different, gone was the garishly orange prison jumpsuit and in it's place, he was wearing a well tailored dark blue suit with a crisp white shirt, and a light blue necktie. Even his shoes looked spit polished perfect.