Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Kevin

(Dillon and Kevin's new home)

**Please Note: I originally said there was going to be one more chapter and then the epilogue in the previous chapter, but when I started writing this, the chapter would have been too long for only one, so it's your lucky day. There will be another chapter and the epilogue before we say goodbye to Kevin and his Dilly. Enjoy***

Shocked, relieved, emotional, and stupefied were just a few words to describe the emotions coursing through me as I stood there next to Isaac in the courtroom as he patted me on my back. I was still trying to come to terms with the Judges' final ruling on my case. I was free, free to walk out of here back into society as regular law abiding citizen. I wasn't going back to prison. I was cleared of all charges, my actions were ruled as self defense. As a matter of fact I was awarded a tidy sum of money from the State's violent victims fund for my assault and injuries while I sustained while I was incarcerated.

According to Isaac, I now had grounds to file a civil suit against what was left of the Commissioner's estate after his trial for his involvement in the hate crime against me and plotting my assault in prison. Both he and my father were now serving their sentences of a hate crime, fraud, embezzlement of city funds, and a plethora of other charges against their business associates. My mother was sitting somewhere in the courtroom, but I didn't have it in me at the moment to look for her and my bruised heart wasn't yet ready to forgive her.

She'd stood by and let that bigot who was my father almost get away with murder, my own. In all honesty, I know she was just as much a victim living and dealing with my father as I was, but I felt that everyone has choices and she chose to live with it, and do nothing other than stand idly by when all of this was going down. Maybe she can have the freedom to do what she wanted to do and live how she wants now that the monster was behind bars.

My only condolences was the fact that the Commissioner and my father were both placed in the same prison I was housed in, Dilly's father's turf. It should be interesting to see if they survive the first few weeks of their incarceration, much or less the twenty plus years they've been sentenced to serve. I'm sure that the Warden wasn't going to show them any kind of favoritism and what happens behind those concrete walls will stays within those walls. They also had Diablo to deal with and I didn't have one iota of sympathy for them at all.

The courtroom slowly cleared out and I was still receiving congratulations from Isaac, Dr. Covington, Agent Rodriguez, and a few members of his operative team. They had cleared their undercover case and made several arrests of crooked city officials, corrupt prison guards, several inmates, and even some clerks of the court. It was an extremely successful bust, and it all tied to the Commissioner and his shady dealings. Isaac felt that I should sue his estate and take him for all the blood money he's collected over the years. Dillon agreed, so I gave my kick ass attorney the go ahead to do just that.

A high pitched squeal of delight had me spinning on the heels of my new dress shoes, and I barely had enough time to brace myself as the love of my life slammed into my body and wrapped both his slender legs around my waist and his arms around my shoulders. Dilly showered my face with kisses mixed with his tears. My still sore muscles protested against the added weight on my still healing body, but I didn't give a damn as I held Dilly tightly against me and let him cry on my shoulder.

My heart expanded to the point I almost couldn't contain it in my chest. I was going home to my Dilly. I'm going to be able to hold his hand, to kiss him, talk to him, and tonight I was going to lie down with him at my side alone in a real bed. Not a dusty cot, or a sterile hospital bed. I was going to be able to sit at a table and eat a real meal sitting across from my beautiful Dilly. We were going to be able to afford a place of our own and Dilly will be able to start working at the job of his dreams now that he didn't have to worry day and night about me locked up in some hole fighting for my life.