c h a p t e r - 6

† I know you're seeing black and white
So I'll paint you a clear blue sky
Without you I am colour-blind †

-Blue (Troye Sivan)

People may describe rain as a gentle whisper from the sky or soft 'tapping' on the hard ground

People may describe rain as a gentle whisper from the sky or soft 'tapping' on the hard ground. However, for Justin that day rain proved to be a bullet to the heart. It struck him as a painful dart, hitting him directly where he was the weakest. His love, his Sierra.

There was her standing outside the door, watching the clouds with darkness brewing up in her eyes.

He always wondered what it's about rain, that makes people happy. As the first drop fell on her face, and a lone tear slipped out of the corners of her eyes; he realised why everyone loves rain.

To happy people, it was a fresh wave. To sad ones, it was a reminder. A reminder that they aren't alone, there's someone to cry... for them, along with them. Maybe rain made her feel special, because she was smiling in spite of tears rolling down her cheeks.

He simply stood beside her, watching her as she tilted her head upwards towards the sky embracing the rain drenching her skin.

His heart clenched inside his chest, thumping loudly at the sight of the tears streaming down her face. A hollowness crept inside him, imagining her pain. His once warm heart felt like a blank hole as he saw her lips tremble.

Not being able to take it more, he grabbed her by wrist and embraced her tightly in his arms.

Sun had already set, and store was closed. There were some people on sidewalks running away from rain. But his only focus was her, who was trying to push him away.

"Why are you crying?" He asked her softly, wiping away the warm tears off her cold skin with his knuckles.

It was as if, his voice calmed her down. He heard her sigh deeply, and her fist clutched the fabric of his shirt tightly.

She shook her head as his answer.

The emptiness he had felt moments ago by seeing her in pain, was starting to fade away as she relaxed in his arms.

Running his fingers through her wet brown curls, he hugged her tightly. He wanted to fix her broken pieces back together. He didn't care if he was losing himself in the midst of acting as her glue.

Seeing her in pain was a punch to his guts, but as he fell in love with a heart that beats so slow; he didn't care. He would simply roll in with punches.

He could feel her heart rhythm falling slowly, as the sound of thunder subsided a little.

"You got this Sierra; it's gonna be okay. You can and you will pull through it... whatever it is." He rubbed her back as hollow sobs wracked her body.

Having no idea why she was crying really, he just kept murmuring soft wordings in her ears to calm her down. It was breaking his heart, inch by inch, seeing her cry and hearing her muffled sobs.

It was exactly how you would feel after you lost everything, and you feel so hollow inside that you have to wrap your arms around yourself.

"Just breathe." He whispered pulling her closer. And at that moment, she wrapped her tiny arms around his chest tightly. He closed his eyes as her touch set him free in the strangest way. Finally, he could breathe then too.

"Don't do this to me Justin." She spoke in a broken voice.

He pulled away a little to look at her. His throat clogged up with unsaid emotions as he stared into her black eyes. Her eyes held too much pain; she wasn't masking it to him this time. It hurt him. He wanted to step back and close his eyes.

Even so he just stood there firmly, looking at her bloodshot eyes, which were asking him a silent question, "why the hell are you standing still here?"

She wasn't that difficult to read, after all her eyes were his best vocabulary.

She shook her head, at his stubbornness with a ghost of smile on her face.

Taking a bold step towards him, she grabbed his hand tightly.

"Don't trust me. Don't make me promise. Don't step too close. Don't give me your heart. I might break everything, including you." She said.

He smiled at her words. Her actions and eyes were contradicting her words. With every line, her hold on his hand was tightening. She was intertwining their fingers slowly.

"Stop sending me letters. I would read it, but never reply. I'm kind of person who brings bad luck for others. Stay away, or you'll be left broken." Her voice quivered as she looked in his eyes.

Her voice sounded so convinced; he wondered who made her believe that she doesn't deserve anything.
He tugged her forward by wrapping his hand around her waist and whispered near to her ears, "then I invite you to...break me."

There was a conviction in her eyes and his too. The difference was he was determined to fix her; and she was determined to not to break him.

Little did they know; fate had plans of bargaining with both of them.

******

12 in short story!!

Thank you all so very much ❤