Step 5: Be a Shoulder to Cry On

Small Bob didn't understand.

He didn't understand why his human was so sad, why he got so suddenly angry or so emotionless. He didn't understand why so many friends would come over and they would sit and be sad or angry or emotionless together. He didn't understand why his human would leave home for days or hours at a time, he didn't understand why the sugar woman would now care for him.

'Mrs O'Leary, why is everyone so sad?' He asks her one day, the gloominess of the house was starting to make him feel sad, even though he didn't understand why.

But Mrs O'Leary just looks sad too and she turned away and didn't even flick her great fluffy tail. And so Small Bob was left even more confused than ever.

Small Bob started to get sad too, his whiskers drooped and he slept more and more. He didn't want to play even though no one would play with him. He hid under Percy's bed for most of the day and hissed at the salt man when he tried to get him out, Small Bob didn't understand what made him this way, he didn't understand why his human was sad, he just knew that because Percy was sad, he was too.

Until one day, when Percy was lying in his bed staring at the ceiling and ignoring Small Bob no matter what he did. He tried purring, he tried nuzzling, he yelled how much he loved Percy and how much he hated him, but there was nothing. Until finally, he tried to climb onto Percy and his human struck out and growled at him.

"Get off me!"

Small Bob landed with a thump on the floor, he looked up at Percy glaring down at him. And Small Bob started to cry. Cats aren't like humans, they don't cry with tears or by going red faced. He started to let out loud, low pitched yowls from the pit of his stomach. He cried and yowled because he didn't understand what had made Percy so angry and upset, angry at him.

Maybe Small Bob was a bad owner? Maybe he had never been a good one, maybe Percy would be better off without him.

Until a pair of warm hands were picking him up and cradling him in their arms, Small Bob's ears drooped waiting to be throw away.

"Oh Small Bob, I'm so sorry." Percy whispered, he gently petted Small Bob's head as the cat quietened down, "I'm so sorry." He was so upset, he was crying too, and despite everything, Small Bob still hated seeing Percy upset. He might not be a good owner, but Percy was a good human no matter what.

"She's dead, Bob," He breathed as Small Bob curled up against him and purrs, "Thalia's dead. A drunk driver hit her motorbike...I-I."

Small Bob understood now. Thalia was the one with the dyed hair, the blonde one's litter mate who he liked so much more. Thalia...dead? 

Erm so...yeah. Comment? Vote? ._.