Chapter 4

So here is Lavinia's first taste of London society and a little more Caleb in this one...

Enjoy! (and please comment, I'm not sure what you all think of this)

-----

Lavinia had visited London several times but never during the summer season. Occasionally she Lavinia had visited London several times but never during the summer season. Occasionally she had accompanied her aunt during the winter but London looked even more spectacular in the summer.

"Oh! Dearest Lavinia!" her aunt exclaimed as Lavinia's carriage pulled up outside her Aunt's townhouse. It was situated on a rather well known and popular street often occupied by families of the ton. Just around the corner was Hyde Park, the well loved, well known park where many took daily walks; where women could see and be seen; to collect and stir up gossip.

"Hello Aunt Julie!" Lavinia replied with similar enthusiasm. Her Aunt was her favourite relation after Charles as they had always got on well and agreed on everything.

"I am so glad you could make it for tonight. We have been invited to the Harrowoods for dinner. You have heard of them I am sure. Lord and Lady Harrowood have three sons attending the season and one daughter who is greatly accomplished at the piano. I dare say we shall have an enjoyable evening to be sure."

"I am happy to hear it Aunt, I have looked forward to this season so much. I am determined to be engage-"

"Engaged?!" Charles cut in while looking sternly at his little sister before embracing her. "You are not going to get engaged this season sis, you are far too young."

"Great to see you too Charlie," Lavinia replied sarcastically, smiling at his annoyance at the use of his childhood nickname. "However, had you not interrupted me quite so readily you would have heard that I am determined to be engaged almost every night at an event instead of engaged to be married."

Rolling his eyes, Charles led the way to their Aunt's parlor so that they could take some tea.

"What news of home?" Charles asked.

"It is still there and still very much the same. Mother and I went shopping a few weeks back and I got several new dresses. Edward is still in his study and the weather was pleasant when I left."

"So you have missed me then?" Charles teased. Lavinia rolled her eyes. Of course she had missed her brother. The house was boring and empty without him.

"I would like to rest a little before tonight if you are alright with that Aunt? It has been a long journey."

"Of course my dear, you do not need my permission. I will send for your maid to get you ready in time."

***

As Lavinia was laced into her new emerald green evening dress, she realised that tonight she would see Caleb again. Her angst about seeing him caught her off guard. She knew that she would need to apologise to him for her past anger and yet, why should she be nervous about that? She had done it before, often for her loss of temper.

When she arrived at the Harrowoods on Charles' arm she almost fainted with embarrassment once more. Her mother clearly had not known about the way debutantes preferred to dress. Pastel blues, pinks, greens and yellows were scattered throughout the hallway, only being punctuated by the dark colours of the men's suits. Her dark green dress stood out a mile away and many young ladies were whispering behind their fans while glancing at her conspicuously.

Her cheeks flushed as she went to stand in the line waiting to be introduced by the hostess.

"Charles!" Caleb ran up the front step to meet them and gave Charles a manly hug before roaming his eyes over Lavinia, making her blush all the more.