Chapter 16

Caleb pushed his horse to the limit as he left London, there was no going back now. He had left his carriage at home and only stopped to grab some money and a change of clothes before he had raced off into the night on horseback. There was no chance of him sleeping, he couldn't stay seated in a carriage either. He needed to be active, he needed to think.

All he could think of was the young woman he had left behind, standing in the ballroom stunned by her friend's accusations. He had her face of horror imprinted in his mind and no matter how fast he travelled, it did not go away. He knew he loved her, that much was certain. He had known from the beginning but had been far too scared to admit it. However, last night had confirmed it. Their dance and conversation, their easy and light humour was what Caleb wanted for the rest of his life and he knew he would only get that with Lavinia.

It hurt him to leave her there, but he had no other option. Judith had been mad because he liked her and so Lavinia was much safer without him. He loved her, and that was why he had to leave.

***

The next morning Lavinia awoke with red, puffy eyes and a wet pillow. Edward had left sometime after she had dozed off and she was still in her ball gown, her hair like a nest atop her head. Anne came in soon after, concern etched across her face.

"How are you feeling, m'lady?" she asked timidly. Lavinia turned round to see her and Anne wrapped her arms around her when she saw her mistress' tear stained face.

"It will all be alright, Lord Alder isn't here anymore and Lady Wetherton won't get past your brothers," she reassured.

"Caleb's gone?" Lavinia looked up in astonishment. How could he have left so quickly? Why?

"Indeed, my brother said he left immediately after the ball," Anne explained. "Apparently he's going to visit an Aunt in Shropshire."

Lavinia's heart hurt at the idea of Caleb gone. It was like a part of her was missing. An Aunt in Shropshire was more important to Caleb than her? She needed him now, more than ever. She realised now that she had never really appreciated the security and comfort she felt around him. Lavinia broke into tears again and asked Anne to give her excuses to her brothers. She did not want to see anyone today.

***

Judith awoke the next morning even angrier than she had been last night. She had a headache and she blamed Lavinia for that too. What enraged her even more was the news that came to her almost instantly that Caleb had left. What was he thinking? That he could keep Lavinia safe from her by running away? Lavinia was guilty and she would deal with the consequences of angering Judith.

Caleb on the other hand would come back to her. Once he realised that Lavinia was no longer an option, he would notice Judith as his perfect match.

***

Lavinia was glad of the miserable weather that was overshadowing London. It matched her mood all too well. She sat in the library for most of the day reading books and watching the raindrops race each other down the window pane. She spoke to her brothers sparingly, sometimes opting to eat dinner in her room rather than sit in between their concerned glances. She knew it wasn't fair to them, but her heart was broken. Caleb had left her. Left her to endure the ridicule of the ton alone.

Charles and Edward didn't know what to do around Lavinia. She wasn't her usual bubbly self. She sat solitary for hours and many times they saw her, her eyes were red. They knew she was upset and embarrassed by Judith, but Charles thought it could be something more.

"What if she likes Caleb?" he asked Edward one night when they were dining alone. Edward almost choked on his drink as he contemplated this idea.

"Caleb and Lavinia? Surely not," he said incredulously.