s i x

the next day ; s t e v e n

I woke up to the foul smell of vomit. I scrunch my nose and gag. as I walk to the restroom, I see the door is open; Fleur is inside throwing up. "you okay Fleur?" I ask.

she looks up at me, pale. "it's just my stomach, it does that sometimes." she insists. she puffs her cheeks and gags, I pull her hair up and look away as she lets it out.

"can we go to delias?" she asks. I furrow my eyebrows at the question. "it's a hotel. I've been staying there." she clarifies.

"why?" I ask.

"I was staying there." she says, as if it were obvious. my eyes grow large. "since when?" she shrugs at my question.

-

I wait for her in the parking lot. she brings two boxes to the car. "alrighty, let's go."

"that's it? that's all you own?" I asked, she nods. "I uh, lost everything..m-michael..uh he-" she stops, tears blurring her vision. I rub her knee. "it's okay..it's okay." I whisper, trying to convince her and myself.

"I won't. things don't all of a sudden become 'Okay'." she says.

"you're right. but you'll be okay." I tell her.

-

I help Fleur unpack in the guest room. she leaves the room to get the second box, I look inside the small tin box she had placed in the closet. I don't know why, I'm normally not one to snoop around, but it was the ONLY thing in the closet, so why not.

inside I found syringes(hospital needles), small metal tube-like containers. "i-is this heroine?" I ask out loud.

"yes." I hear and turn around. Fleur was standing right behind me.

"why didn't you say anything? I could help you.." I say.

she runs out of the room. I get up and run after her.. she's too quick. by the time I was outside the house, she was speeding away. I dropped to my knees. "why didn't you tell me?" I say again, only much weaker.