Part 2

"There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them."
- Sylvia Plath

____________
CHAPTER 2
____________

ZOEY

"What can I get for you?" I ask the table of four drunken men. Though I'm tired, I keep a perky expression on my face, and keep in mind that it's almost closing time for the diner. Today is one of my longest hour shifts and my throbbing feet keep reminding me of just how long I've been at work.

One of the men leans forward and winks at me. "You could get me your phone number. Then I can call you, take you out and show you a real nice time." His slurred words makes me roll my eyes.

I usually like my job. Working at the local diner had always been a dream for mine while I was at college, I'd just always hoped that I'd be able to get a different job after I'd graduated. When it's a Saturday night and men feel peckish after a long night of drinking, they come here. While they tip good, their entitlement comes out and I'm on the receiving end of the cocky attempts at flattery.

"Come on, darlin'. I promise you won't regret it." The other guys at the table laugh and hoot loudly at their friend that thinks his drunken flirtation is working on me.

I shake my head and keep a polite smile on my face, trying not to escalate their behaviour. Just get through this last hour and you can go home and soak in a nice hot bath. I sigh internally. "Not tonight, sorry babe. Any food on the menu that takes your fancy, though?"

I become a little more defeated when they don't stop their banter and I get uncomfortable. I've had to kick out drunken men before, and it's not particularly pretty. One I could handle, having taking self-defence classes and having a few of the regulars that are nice enough to help me out. Mentioning the name of my brother usually helps when there's more than one, too. Lucian is an ex-soldier who had developed a ton of street cred after coming back home. In this particular case, these boys are probably from out of town judging on their accents so it's likely they won't know who he is, making that option futile. Out of the corner of my eye I see my boss approaching and take a breath of relief.

"Everything okay here, Zoey?" He scowls and faces the boys while crossing his arms. They quieten down considerably, sobering up quick and my polite smile becomes more genuine. My boss, Ethan, is massive to say the least. He and my brother train at the gym together so it's unsurprising that they're both big and brawny men that could diffuse most difficult situations.

"It is now," I say and smile up at Ethan.

He glares at the seated group. "If I hear you're disrespecting Zoey, here, I'll kick all of your asses. Are we clear." They all nod in unison and turn to look at each other. I nod as a thank you to Ethan. He nods back with a slight smile then returns to the kitchen. I continue to get the subdued groups orders and there are no more problems, thankfully. The hour passes by quickly and soon I'm turning the sign on the door signalling that we're closed.

"Are you okay locking up tonight, Zoey?" Ethan asks from the doorway to the kitchen and I spin to face him. I smile smugly. He'd just come back from his honeymoon with his wife, Erica, last week and from the look on his face the honeymoon faze still wasn't over.

"Sure, I have the key in my bag. You get home to your wife, and tell her I said hi!" He gives me a brief wave then rushes to leave the diner through the back door. After his exit, I clean the tables and take all of the dishes out of the dishwasher and store them in the metal cupboards. I go get my bag from the back room and check my phone. I have a message from my brother.

Lucien: Hi Zo, are you still able to make the party tomorrow?

He was referring to the backyard barbecue soldiers usually host every time the army personnel make it home. They include lots of beer and food, and are a good way for them to socialise and rehabilitate into normal life. These parties are the only places that I actually like rowdy drunken men. Being the sister of one of the crew certainly helps and they all treat me like I'm their own family.

Zoey: Of course! I text back with a grin on my face. I have a hard time saying no to my older brother. We have a close relationship, and I'm glad for it. Sure we bicker, but it's usually about nothing serious and nothing tends to last longer than a day.

I take a final glance around the shop and double check that everything is where it should be. The table glisten, the chairs are stacked and all of the appliances are off. Satisfied I step out of the diner and lock the door.

Now I can get home to a glass of wine and a bubble bath. I can't get there fast enough.