Part 13

"Facing it, always facing it.
That's the way to get through it."
- Joseph Conrad

____________
CHAPTER 13
____________

ZOEY

I breathe heavy as Gage tells me to work harder. I can't help but sardonically think to myself that it's easy for him to say; he's not the one doing all the work. My chest burns as the sarcastic comment plays at the tip of my tongue. Driving through harder, a clenched fist encumbered by the weighted gloves, the object ripples. My muscles ache. 

"Come on, we're almost done, sweetheart," he says in an effort to motivate me through the last few seconds. The way he calls me sweetheart has a tingle building from my stomach, but being cute with me whilst I'm working out is not helping.

I grunt and close my eyes, punching the heavy bag with the last of my strength. It's a testament to how out of shape I am. I haven't been to the gym in weeks, and my unfit stature was now making a presence.

"Three, two and... you can stop," he counts down and I double over, taking deep breaths. "You did great!"

It's difficult to speak as I try to engulf all the oxygen I can get to soothe my lungs. "Don't speak too soon; I might pass out."

He laughs and hands me my bottle of water. "Make sure you drink lots of fluids and stay hydrated."

I take off my sweaty boxing gloves and gratefully take the bottle, downing half of it in one go. Part of me wishes I hadn't agreed to let him practice his Personal Trainer routines out on me, but it was part of his course. It was the first time he'd actually asked me for anything, and I didn't want to turn him down. Plus, who could turn down the privilege to stare at the hard ridges of his sculpted body showcased in his gym wear for a solid hour? I certainly couldn't.

"My whole body hurts," I whine, watching a smirk rise to his lips.

"I told you I'd get those muscles into shape." He takes the gloves from my hand and packs them away in my gym bag for me.

"I can't even raise my arms at the moment. You have somehow made me weaker than before."

He chuckles at me and warily pulls me into a hug. A gesture of affection that's becoming a little easier for him. He is trusting me, and I'd by lying if I said that didn't make me happy.

"Nobody comes to the gym because it's easy, they come because it's hard."

"The paradox is not lost on me. Isn't that the loose quote for when we travelled to the moon?"

"J.F.K's speech," he nods. "Wise words."

"I call America walking on the moon a conspiracy."

"Oh, so you're a conspirator, now? This is new information."

I pull away enough so that he can watch me roll my eyes. "Space is far too big to navigate; I call bull on it."

I can tell by his eager expression that he's about to divulge his vast knowledge on astronomy and its history to dispute my theory, but before he can begin we are joined by my brother.

My brother wears his own gym wear, though they're not matted with sweat so I assume that he has yet to begin his daily workout. There's a grin on his face, and surprise shadows beneath it which suggests that he hadn't expected to see me here.

Lucian greets us, and Gage lets me go from his embrace so I can give my brother a hug. "Hi, Luce," I say mushed into his chest.

"You're all sweaty, Zo," he notes with playful disdain.

"Some of us have actually been working out," I pull out of his grasp. "You've just got here?"

"I had some things I needed to sort out this morning." His gaze travels from me to Gage and his lips thin. "Nice to see you, Gage. Heard about your dad, is he doing okay?"

I haven't spoken to Luce about my budding relationship with Gage since the hospital. I recall his advice and I stiffen at the pending conversation about to unveil between them both. The dryness in his sentence is palpable. I look to Gage, noting the levelled expression. It's wary.

"He got to go home yesterday, so I'd say he's doing fine - only spent a week in the hospital." It has been eight days since the incident... eight days since Gage kissed me.

"Glad to hear it." Lucian gives a firm nod. "You've been teaching Zo to box?"

"She has a good fighting stance," Gage says with upturned lips.

"She get's that from me - I taught her well."

Gage scoffs and turns to me, "you mean you already know how to box?"

"No," I drawl and give Lucian an annoyed stare. "Luce is referring to how he'd play fight with me when we were younger."

"Seems like an unfair match."

"She can be quite a monster if she's motivated enough. Ain't that right, Zo?" He ruffles my hair, something he always does and annoys the hell out of me.

I scowl at his smug face. His eyes light with unheard laughter.

Gage changes the topic of conversation and instead asks my brother a question. "You going to the underground boxing ring? I haven't been down yet, but apparently, it's for use of all the ex-soldiers. I didn't even know it existed until Zoey brought it up last week."

Lucian cocks his head. "You didn't? That's unusual. I'm about to go down there now actually. Want to tag along? Could set up a couple of spar's if you like? Introduce you to a few people?"

Gage looks to me, and I give him an encouraging smile. He was probably wondering if it was safe for him to stay with my brother, or if he'd tear him a new one. I couldn't promise much, to be honest.

He offers a tight smile and lifts his gym bag from the floor. "Yeah, that'd be great. Might be nice for me to meet a few friendly faces before I start working here permanently."

I try to suppress my grin and grab my own bag, plucking my sweat towel out to dry my reddened face. I feel proud of him for getting included - a month ago would have been a completely different picture. The progress makes me admire the man.

Someone taps Lucian on the shoulder, and they begin a genial conversation. Gage takes this moment to pull me into him, flush against his body. His hands softly brush down my arms. He looks deep into my eyes. "I'll see you later?"

"Later?"

"Yeah. For our first date."

"Our first date?" I say slowly, not quite understanding his latter words, that dripped so eagerly from his lips. "Didn't we already do that last week?"

He gives me a full smile, dips down to kiss me. I shiver and lean into him. "I didn't classify that as a date," he mumbles against my lips.

I can feel his smile through the words.

When we pull apart, I see my brother with a wary expression on his face as he gives his muted appraisal. He doesn't say anything to me on at our exchange, just nods with a sigh, his eyes communicating his perception of the careful fragility of our relationship. It makes me frown, and I'm hopeful that he'll be at least repentant when he's alone with Gage - when he gets to see what I see in him.

Gage's touch lingers, and when I look to him I can tell he has noticed the same and I have in Lucian's expression.

"Let's go," he says while releasing me. He follows my brother and doesn't look back.