The Quarterback's Gigolo [boyxboy] [33]

Jack P.O.V

I woke up the next morning feeling like complete shit. I pinched myself a couple of times, and when I woke up, I realised it was all completely real. Reed really and truly had had enough of me. He’d broken up with me. I was a free man, a bachelor, alone. My mind was a fog, unclear and thumping dully. My skin was cold and clammy; the bags under my eyes were really droopy and grey.

I picked up my phone, and then I put it back down, the only person whose voice I wanted to hear doesn’t want to hear mine. It hurt, my chest hurt. Tears stung the back of my eyes and I curled into a protective ball on my bed. I felt like I drifted up and out of my body, my spirit and my soul were numb and unattached.

There were two Jack’s one that was feeling the pain, the one acting like a girlfriend who’d just got dumped by the love of her life. The other was the old Jack, the hard-core Jack who was looking down at the crying weeny like he was a sack of shit. Like he deserved to die because he’d shed a tear for this guy, and not just any guy, his sisters EX.

And I couldn’t decide which Jack I wanted to be, which Jack would be easier to be. Which Jack could cope with the pain? And now I sounded crazy, see, one night without Reed and I’d already lost my marbles.

“JACK! COME DOWNSTAIRS RIGHT NOW” I heard my mum hollering.

I sighed crawling out of my bed. I pulled on some joggers and went downstairs. I found my mum sitting in the front room with two police officers. Her expression was angry; I immediately held my hands up in the air and vehemently shook my head at her.

“It wasn’t me. What ever they are here about I didn’t do it,” I said before she could even open her mouth and have a go at me.

The younger of the officers chuckled, I turned to look at him and he smiled at me. The hard-core Jack in me raised his eyebrow and wanted to flirt, but the grief ridden Jack in me shuddered at the thought of any man. I went with hard-core Jack. So I raised my eyebrow at him, he just smiled a little wider causing me to smile.

“I’m officer Murray and this is officer Reynolds,” the older officer said. He had greying dark brown hair and plain unimpressed blue eyes. His skin looked haggard and the lines in his eyebrows let on that he’d seen and heard more than any man should have.

“We’re not here about that Jack, we are here about the events of last night. Where were you at 7:30pm?” officer Murray asked me.

I looked at him confused “Don’t you already have Liam, why are you questioning me, I never did anything?”

“You are Liam’s best friend are you not?”

“Yeah. I am… sorry I was his best friend. I don’t understand why that matters”

“Liam is showing signs of being bi-polar and we wondered if he’d ever acted violent or threatening to you before. We need a judge on his character, we’ve spoke to his other friends but as his best friend you have to be able to tell us. Has Liam ever reacted like this before?”

I thought back… dumping Reed in the swamp that was a bit aggressive. Shoving me into a locker and calling me fag, violent. Sharply rugby tackling people on the football field, violent. Liam always mouthing off to other people, aggressive.

I put on my poker face “No he’s never been like that before”

“So what was the trigger?” officer Reynolds asked, it was the first time he’d spoken since I’d entered the room. He looked around 20, 21 maximum.

“He liked me liked me, and when it came out I was seeing someone he got a bit upset you could say.”

“So emotional trauma, could he have possibly loved you? That would explain the extremes he went, and his logic. Why would he think tying up your sister and her 3 peers would get you to like him?”