f o u r

 I felt like I was drowning. I felt as if someone was holding me underwater and they were keeping me there, trying to force the life out of me. I whimpered and tried to clear my head by shaking it a bit. My hair swirled around me making me slightly confused to what was happening.

I felt a person sit down next to me, and that was when I noticed I was laying in a bed. It wasn't like the dirty mattress from the basement. Come to think of it, it was a very plush bed that was covered in a down quilt and fluffy pillows. I almost believed that this was all a very big nightmare - until I heard the Chief's voice.

"She's fine." he sounded exasperated and slightly annoyed. "Seriously. Well she just woke up, so I don't know if she wants to talk right now."

Before I knew it, a phone was shoved into my face.

"Nora?" asked the worried voice of my father. I strained to sit up, struggling against the weight of the pain in my bones. "Nora? Are you there?! Are you alright?"

"Dad?" I whimpered. "Daddy, I don't know where I am-"

"Are you okay?" he asked after a moment of silence, sounding sick to his stomach. "I need to hear you say you're okay. Did he hurt you?"

"Enough questions." Chief said, pulling the phone away from my face, but turning the phone on speakerphone so I could still hear my father's panicked noises.

"What do you want, Oliver?" my father said, his voice shaky. "I'll do anything. Just please, give me back my daughter."

"You killed Hayley, didn't you?" Chief - Oliver - sighed, looking over at me with a smirk.

My father was quiet before he answered. "No, I didn't. But Hayley is dead, yes."

"So it wouldn't make sense for me to give you back your girl, you see?" Oliver chuckled, running his hand through my hair. I pulled back from him, spitting in his direction.

"Don't touch me, you bastard!" I screamed. Oliver wiped the saliva from his cheek and he got an evil look on his face.

"Oh Cameron..." he began, standing up and setting the phone on the bedside table. "Cameron...you're going to wish you taught your daughter how to hold her fucking tongue."

"Don't hurt her." my father pleaded. I could hear the pain in his voice. I had never heard him sound so weak before. It surprised me to hear him so weak. I could picture him rubbing his thin face, yanking his long hair through his thin bony fingers. I could see him gripping the side of his desk, furious and shaky. And that was when I finally realized how much I missed his voice. I missed him being the annoying helicopter dad he was. I missed him kissing my forehead before I went to bed. I missed him arguing with my uncles about how much time he devoted to me vs. his job. I missed him so much. I missed his protection. I needed him. I needed him to save me. To protect me. "I'll do anything, just please, don't hurt my baby girl."