Why Him? - Chapter 1

Why Him? – Chapter 1 ( Rewritten) 

"Do you really have to go?" My four year old cousin, Samantha asks. Her cheeks are wet with tears and her nose is runny.

I hold her tighter in my arms. I take my spare handkerchief in from my pocket and gently wipe her tears away. "Don't cry Samantha." I subtly tell the young girl, "Ma wants me to stay with them for now. I promised that I would and you know that I don't break promises."

"Who will make me mac and cheese when I'm sad?" More tears stream down her plump cheeks, and I had to balance her in one hand again so that I could wipe her cheeks and runny nose.

I lean against her ear and whisper, "I asked Nana to do it for you."

She pouts. "Nana doesn't know how to make it with love!"

"I heard that!" Nana exclaims at the backseat of Nono's car.

I was at the passenger's seat with Samantha placed on my hip. She doesn't want to let go of my neck, and I knew that if I did let go she would throw a raging fit. My arms were close to settling down on my lap. I didn't have the weight to hold her arms for this long.

"Can I place you on my lap?" I ask the little blonde girl.

"No!" She exclaims

I internally did a groan. My pale skin was turning red from carrying her too long. We've been travelling for an hour and a half.

"Honey, I think you need to sit down, Ella is getting hurt." Nana tells her.

"I don't want to Nana!" Samantha cries.

Nana glares at Samantha. "Don't answer back Samantha, its bad." Nana scolds her. "Your mommy did not teach you to answer back young lady." Nana adds.

Samantha stops her crying and slides down to my lap. Samantha has always been a little rascal at the house.

I groan, "Nana!"

Great...I'll be wet with tears.

I coo to the little girl. I tell her a bunch of random, happy things for the mood to lighten up. In a few moments she stops crying and decides to stick her thumb in her mouth. I try to pry it out of her mouth but her eyes tell me no.

"We're here!" Nono exclaims. He pulls up the car at the nearest parking space, and our family van pulls up next to Nono's car.

I move little Samantha to the little space at the edge of my seat. She squirms and protests against it. "Don't be naughty Samantha. I'm just taking my seatbelt out of its latch." I try to take the seatbelt out as fast as possible, her lips are slowly quivering. "No, no, no, no" I coo in a baby voice.

"Hurry your damn ass!" Tyler yells.

I take Samantha in my arms and open the door.

"Sheesh...I'm sure your ass can wait for mine. I'm holding Samantha, and unless you want a raging toddler in your arms you better shut your mouth." I glare at the thirteen year old boy who's fixated with his DS.

Chester and Uncle Pete carry or haul in my baggage.

"We should hurry up. Your flight's call will start in a few minutes." Uncle Pete says. He takes a baggage cart at the other side of the parking lot and gently places my baggage. Once it's settled he rolls it through the pavement and makes his way towards the entrance of the airport.

We walk to the airport slowly. As we were walking I can hear the silent cries of Nana and Aunt Marie.

"I can hear you crying!" I mark. I turn to their way and stop. Walking to them, I wrap my right arm around Nana while my body is hugging the both of them.