Chapter 7 (Part II): New Friends

Dedicated to the boy who made me feel that love has no boundaries. 

Chapter 7 (Part II): New Friends

Its night and I'm almost finished with my prep meals. All I need to do is to drench the meat into its appropriate sauce and I'll be done for the day.

It's a good thing that I've finished my homework first before I got started. Most of my friends know that I hate cramming and that I try to avoid it. But you can't totally avoid it. It's there sometimes, especially when there are deadlines after deadlines.

"Ella," my mother calls in an uncertain voice.

My train of thought suddenly disappears and I'm left with reality again. My head peers through the kitchen door and I notice that Ma was just about to approach the kitchen with her deafening heels.

"Honey," she elegantly enters the kitchen, "you do know what time it is." I shake my head sideways. Mother sighs, "It's nine. It's your bedtime."

Letting out a fake groan, "But Ma," I childishly whine. "I don't want to go to bed yet."

Ma laughs, "Okay, okay. Sheesh. You don't need to act like a baby." She goes around the counter and wraps an arm around my shoulder, "Do you need help?"

Shaking my head once again, "I'm perfectly fine, Ma. I can do this."

She sighs, "You've been prepping since five, aren't you tired yet?"

Chuckling from her statement, "Ma, this is my passion. This is something that I want to do for the rest of my life. And since this is a thing that I'm passionate about, I won't stop discovering. I love doing this so I won't ever get tired doing it."

Ma pointedly looks at me, "I didn't say to stop, honey. I was just suggesting that you'll need to take a break, okay?" Leaning her head against me shoulder, she lets out a short huff.

Slowly, I feel her body slightly tense. "Is there something wrong?" My focus isn't directed towards her but I'm still listening. I genuinely do care about what she says and what she feels.

"It's nothing actually," she breathlessly says.

Glancing at her, I give her one of my many looks. "Ma, I'm not an idiot, you know."

"It's just that, you're growing too fast." Ma admits, "It's like you're too mature and too wise for your little self."

Giggling at her silly statement, "Too mature? Too wise? Ma, what are you talking about? At this stage of a werewolf's life everyone's supposed to reach maturity."

Ma pouts, "I disagree. You're still my baby."

"Do you hear yourself, Ma?" I jokingly say. I continue to marinate the meat and place it inside the disposable container. I feel the movement of her head swaying sideways. "You shouldn't worry about anything. I'll still be here no matter what." I promise.

Ma smiles, "Your father and I are so lucky to have you. You're our gift. A royal gift from the Moon Goddess."

"I'm flattered to hear that. I'm also happy that you're my parents. You guys never fail to provide for me." Times like these let me assure myself that my family really does love me. I'm grateful to know that they'll always be there no matter what.

Ma gently pats my shoulder, "I'm going to go now. You don't need my constant pestering," Ma jokes. Before she exits the door, Ma yells "When you're done you best come out of that kitchen and call me!"

Shaking my head, "Oh mom."

_________

"Guys, come one..." I carry out.