Chapter 7 (Part I): New Friends

"We won!? Oh shit, we did win!" Bryce happily rejoices. He gets up from his seat and does a childish happy dance. "Can't you believe it? We won! We won! In your face, losers!" He points towards a group of people with harsh glares on their face.

Ms. Welch pats Bryce's back, "Bryce, take your seat. You can continue to rub your group's success after my class." She commands. Surprisingly, Bryce follows Ms. Welch's command, but of course a smug smile is still plastered on his face.

Bryce turns his head towards mine and shoots me with his dazzling smile. Is this Bryce? I mentally ask myself. The Bryce that I'd encountered with earlier looked mean and scary. This Bryce had a smile on his face.

"I underestimated you, pipsqueak." His voice sounded apologetic. He really didn't need to. I just wanted to prove myself to him. I wanted him to realize that I was not like the others. He lowers his head a bit, "I apologize for threatening you earlier."

I smile. That was sweet of him. Bryce didn't seem to be the type of person who would apologize so easily. "I'm okay with it, Bryce." I sheepishly show him a small smile, "At least now we get to be best friends forever, right?" I slightly tease him.

He smirks, "Sure, whatever floats your boat, pipsqueak." I suddenly pout. "What? You're a small thing." He just called me a thing. What am I to him? A gnome?

I don't get these types of people. Am I required to have a tall height when I know that I was naturally born a small baby? I don't even know why I'm small.

I tune out my thoughts as well as Bryce's comment, and pay attention to Ms. Welch's announcement.

After a while, Ms. Welch congratulates us. She silently murmurs a "good job" beside me while she shakes my hand.

The bell rings a few minutes later. I fix my things and bid a soft goodbye to my group mates. As I fix my stuff, I feel somebody's presence behind me. I crane my head slightly and see a smiling Bryce.

"What are you still doing here?" I quizzically ask him. My right eyebrow arches upward, a small smirk appearing on my face.

Bryce scratches the back of his neck. I notice a small tint of red on his cheeks. "Um...I was wondering if I could walk you to your room. I just wanted to return the favor, for you know...helping my friends and me."

I was flattered by his offer but Bryce didn't really need to return the favor. "I was glad that we got the highest score Bryce, but you don't need to do this. I'm happy that I was able to help you and your friends, and besides we did it as a group."

"We did help you but you did way more than what we contributed. So instead of being a shitty best friend, I'd like to escort you to your next class." He says with finality.

I sigh. "Fine, if that's what you want, then sure. You can escort me to my next class." I shake my head at his silliness. He's so persistent, it's cute.

I sling my bag on my shoulder and grab my other things on my table. "We should get going. I don't want to be late to my next class." I reply smoothly. Bryce nods his head and we make forth to the exit.

"What's your next period?" He asks gruffly.

A small smile breaks upon my lips, "I have English 12 next." I happily reply. English has always been my favorite subject, especially when our topic was about literature. Books are my life. I love how it filled me with all sorts of imaginations.

"That's good to know. It's not that far away from my room." He says in relief. "Do you need to get your books from your locker?"

I shake my head, "I have my books with me."