Chapter 18: Mommy Dearest

I'm sitting with Dean has he's making shotgun shells with the ashes. Sam and Bobby are trying to locate Eve.
"Hey. How you doing?" Sam asks as he and Bobby walk into the room.
"Five shells. That's how I'm doing." Dean says.
"Well, you know, it's a hell of a lot more than what we had last week.
"Maybe." I say.
"Meaning?" Bobby asks.
"Meaning Dean just had a mishap with my arm a few minutes ago and, uh, well, here. Look." I take a pinch of the ashes and rub some on my arm. Nothing happens.
"Whoa." Sam says.
"Huh." Bobby says.
"I mean this stuff is supposed to burn the bejeezus out of Eve, doesn't even give her a sunburn." Dean says.
"Lore says it works."
"That's always reliable." I say.
"Well, you know what? Maybe it's like uh, maybe it's like iron or silver. You know? Hurts them, not us." Sam says.
"Maybe, but a fat lot of good it does us til we find the bitch." Dean says.
"I'm looking, but I'm thinking maybe it's time you made a call." Bobby says.
"Why has it always got to be me that makes the call, huh? It's not like Cas lives in my ass. The dude's busy." Cas appears behind him. Dean turns around and sees him. "Cas, get out of my ass!"
"I was never in your... Have you made any progress in locating Eve?" Cas asks.
"Well, we were gonna ask you about that." I say. Cas looks at me, holds the gaze for at least 5 seconds then looks away.
"No, I've looked, but she's hidden from me. She's hidden from all angels."
"Awesome." Dean says sarcastically.
"You know, what we really need is an inside man." Sam says.
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"Some with claws and sympathy."
"Like a friendly monster?" Dean asks. Sam shrugs his shoulders.
"Those are in short supply these days, don't you think?" I say.
"Sure, but we've met one or two, right?"  Sam says.
"Maybe."
"So we can find one." Cas disappears to find someone. At least half an hour goes by. Bobby has his face in a book when Cas returns with a girl.
"Lenore." Sam says. She tries to run away. She's the vampire Gordon Walker was after a few years ago. "Wait, wait, wait, wait. Hey, hey. Lenore. Stop. Look, we're happy you're here.
"Been a long time. You remember us?" Dean asks.
"I remember. Your hunter friend almost killed me."
"Well if it makes you feel any better, uh, he turned into a vampire and Sam chopped his head off..." I say feeling the need to throw up again... and I run upstairs. Cas appears beside me as soon as I'm done.

"I can get rid of this." He says.
"No, it's fine. I need to tell Dean soon. I'll tell him after we kill Eve. Why is this such a big deal to you?" I ask.
"I sense that it has a different sort of power to it. It's not completely human."
"What do you mean..?"
"I mean, it feels like...Nephilim."
"Nephilim... like... part you?"
"Yes." Well this just gets better and better. I was hoping it was Dean's so he wouldn't be as mad. Once I clean up my mouth I head back downstairs feeling a little better.

"Grant Pass, Oregon. And now she knows you're coming." Lenore says as I rejoin the conversation.
"Well, let's go see." Bobby says.
"Hold on. I didn't tell you this out of the goodness of my heart. I need something."
"What?" Sam asks.
"Kill me."
"Lenore."
"Look, we'll lock down 'til this whole thing's over, okay? Witness protection, you'll be safe." Dean says.
"You don't get it, it's not about that. I'm dangerous. I hear her voice all the time."
"You're not like rest of them." I say.
"I'm exactly like them. I fed. I couldn't help it. The girl couldn't have been more than 16, Sam. I'll do it again. I can't stop, not anymore. You have to. Please."
"Lenore." Sam says. Cas touches two fingers to Lenore's head. Her face flames and she dies.
"We needed to move this thing along." Cas says. We get our bags together with weapons Cas then teleports all of us to Grant Pass, Oregon. There's people all around, kids are riding bikes.
"Well, I was expecting more Zombieland, less Pleasantville." I say.
"Just because it looks quiet, don't mean it is, especially if she's got a clue were coming." Bobby says.
"Yeah, well if she's here I'm glad we've got Smitey McSmiterton on our squad. Alright, where do we start?" Dean asks.
"I'm gonna need a computer." Bobby says. We get to a dinner and grab a booth. I'm stuck sitting between Dean and Cas. This is awkward... Bobby is looking something up on a tablet. "Alright. I finally got the police database, no thanks to this. I asked for a computer."
"It is a computer." Sam says.
"No, a computer has buttons."
"Can I get you anything else?" Our waitress asks us.
"No, we're good thanks." Dean answers and she walks away.
"Anything?" I ask Bobby.
"Oh, nickel and dime stuff, nothing weird. Basically dead end. You think Vampira was lying?"
"I'll search the town. Give me a moment." Cas says. Nothing happens.
"Cas, we can still see you." I say.
"Yeah, I'm still here."
"Okay, well you don't have to wait on us, you-" Cas gets a really concentrated look on his face. "Well, now it just looks like you're pooping." Dean says.
"Something's wrong."
"What are you stuck?" I ask.
"I'm blocked. I'm powerless."
"You're joking." Dean asks.
"Something in this town, is, uh, it's affecting me. I assume its Eve."

"So wait, Mom's making you limp?"
"Figuratively, yes."
"How?" I ask.
"I don't know, but she is."
"Well, that's great, because without power, you're basically just a baby in a trench coat." Cas looks upset.
"I think you hurt his feelings." Sam says.
"I got something here, maybe. Had to go federal to get it. Call went out from a local office to the CDC last night." Bobby says.
"About what?" I ask.
"A Dr. Silver called in an illness he couldn't identify. Patient's a 25 year old, African-American, named Ed Bright." Bobby turn the tablet around and shows us pictures of Ed's license.
"Well, that's not much to go on."
"Well, it's only a lead, so-"
"So beggars can't be choosers, right? I get it. Alright, let's finish up." I go with Dean and Cas to check out the doctor's office. A woman is locking the door as we walk up to her.
"Excuse me. Hi, uh, is Dr. Silver in today? Our friend is very sick." I ask referring to Cas.
"I have a, painful burning sensation." Cas says.
"Oh, well, he's out, sorry."
"Do you happen to know where he is?" Dean asks.
"He hasn't called in. You might want to find yourself some ointment." The woman says the walks away.
"What kind of doctor calls the CDC and then goes AWOL the very next day? Let's have a look, shall we?" I say then start picking the lock.
"Is this gonna take a long time?" Cas asks. Dean stops me as he notices something.
"What is it?" I ask. Dean bends down and touches a drop of red liquid on the ground. It's blood. There's a small trail leading the side, out of the way of the sidewalk and it leads us to a shed. Dean breaks open the bloody lock. There's a body wrapped plastic. Dean opens the plastic... It's Ed.
"Ohh." Dean says.
"Well what kind of doctor calls the CDC and then stashes the gooey corpse in the shed?" I say.
"I don't understand what's happening here." Cas says.
"Well, I know one thing about the body. We need some kerosene." After we find the tools to torch the body we head over to Ed's house to see if we can find anything there, meeting up with Sam and Bobby.

"Oh. So we've got a missing doctor and an oozy patient, huh?" Dean says.
"Yeah. Plot thickens." Sam says.
"Well, let's go see what Ed's roommates have to say." I say.
"Does Ed Bright have a brother?" Cas asks.
"No, why?" Bobby says.
"Then that's not his twin." We look through the window. Someone is there that looks exactly like Ed.
"So what, shifter?" Sam asks.
"I don't know what we're looking at." Bobby says.
"Alright. Dean, Ash and me are gonna go in. You two stay here and watch the door. If something comes out, shoot it." Sam says.