• two •

“This is happening

“This is happening. With or without you guys,” Hoskins confirms, smirking. “Progress always wins.”

Reagan snaps her head in his direction, fury in her eyes. “That’s it!” She lunges at the gate, but is grabbed by Owen. She kicks and swings the air, trying to get away.

“Maybe progress should lose for once,” Owen says, struggling to keep his grip on the infuriated teen.

“Runaway piglet!” “Pig loose!” Reagan forgets about her burning hatred towards Vic Hoskins to see what’s going on. Suddenly, the new worker, Leon, falls into the raptor paddock. All four raptors look at him. Owen’s eyes widen and he opens the gate.

“Owen, no!” Reagan screams, knowing what he’s about to do. He ignores her and runs into the paddock to stop the raptors. Barry runs in and slams a button. Reagan quickly gets Leon out of the paddock. Two rangers are already above them, ready to shoot.

“Oh no, no,” Owen yells at them, as he approaches the raptors. “Hold your fire! Do not fire!”

The raptors snarl at him. “Put 12 amps in these animals, they’re never gonna trust me again.”

Reagan watches as the scene unfolds. “Blue, stand down. Stand down.” The beta snaps at him.

“Hey, hey! What did I just say? Delta, I see you. Back up.” Delta snarls. He holds up his hands, and the raptors seem to restraint a bit.

“Okay, good. Good.” He looks at Charlie. “Stay right there.” He puts a hand down. “Close the gate.”

“Are you crazy?” Barry yells in disbelief. Reagan is speechless. All she could do was stare.

“Just trust me.” Owen keeps his focus on the raptors.

“Close the gate!” Leon demands. Barry looks at Leon and Reagan with hesitation before sighing and going over to close the gate.

As the gate goes down, Owen quickly turns away and rolls under it, almost pulled back by the raptors. It closes with a loud, metal clanging. She runs to quickly help him up. “You okay?”

“Yeah.” He gives her a quick hug. He was always thought of Reagan as the daughter he never had, and it was obvious that Reagan saw him as a father figure.

Owen gives his attention to Leon. “You’re the new guy, right?” He nods. “Ever wonder why there was a job opening?” Leon stays silent.

Reagan bends down to give him a pat on the back. “Hey. Don’t ever turn your back to the cage.” She and Owen turn to walk away, hearing Leon whimper as Echo growls at him from the other side.

They look to see Hoskins with a devilish smirk on his face. He soon turns and walks away. She shakes her head and looks at Owen.

“I’m going to the next Mosasaurus feeding show,” she chirps happily, making Owen smile. “Wanna come with?”

He shakes his head, ruffling her hair. “Nah, I’m okay. Have fun, kiddo. Stay safe, please.”

“Always am.” Owen holds up his fist, and they do their handshake. He kisses her forehead. She waves at him and begins jogging away.