• nine •

“What is this place?” Gray asks when they come upon an abandoned building

“I don’t know.” Reagan says. She had never been in this part of the park. She didn’t know where they were, let alone how to get back to the resort. She felt absolutely useless.

“Stay here.” Zach demands, but Gray and Reagan follow him anyways.

The first thing she notices is the velociraptor picture on the wall next to her. She studies it as does Gray.

“Gray, Reagan,” Zach’s voice calls out, scaring them both. “Come on. You still have those matches?”

Gray nods and hands him the matches. The older Mitchell brother lights a match, and they continue their journey until they come upon some old cars.

“1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara,” Reagan says, “sand beige.”

Zach looks at his younger brother. “You remember when we fixed up grandpa’s old Malibu, right?”

“Yeah...”

   • • •

“My God, they jumped

“My God, they jumped.” Claire says once her and Owen reach the cliff that the kids had jumped off of not too long ago to escape the Indominus.

“Brave kids,” Owen mumbles.

“Zach! Gray!”

Owen looks at Claire like she’s crazy. He moves over to her and shushes her.

The redhead glares at him. “Hey, I am not one of your damn animals.”

“Listen,” Owen pleads. “Those kids are still alive, but you and I will not be if you continue to scream like that.”

Claire nods, deciding he was right for once. “So, you can pick up their scent, can’t you? Uh, track their footprints?”

“I was with the Navy, not the Najavo.” Owen huffs, rolling his eyes.

“So then what should we do? What do you suggest we do?”

“You get back. I’ll find them.”

“No, we’ll find them.” Claire points from herself to Owen as if he didn’t understand what “we” meant.

“You’ll last two minutes in there,” Owen argues. “Less, in those ridiculous shoes.”

Claire goes quiet for a moment as she stares at him. She then proceeds to unbutton her blazer, tie the bottom, and roll up her sleeves. Owen watches her in confusion. When she’s done, she sassily puts her hands on her hips.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Owen asks, still confused.

“It means I’m ready to go,” Claire responds is a ‘duh’ tone as she shrugs.

“Okay. Let’s get one thing straight. I’m in charge out here. You do everything I say, exactly as I say it.”

Claire seems offended. “Excuse me?”

“Just relax. It’s just like taking a stroll through the woods. Sixty-five million years ago.” And with that, they continue their search.