Chapter 1 - Part 2

"I thought you were going to call," I said.

"You not happy to see me?" he teased.

A smile tipped my lips and I shook my head. He knew the answer to that.

I stepped back so he could enter the house. He dropped a quick kiss on my lips as he walked into the house. It was so brief but it was enough to summersault my stomach and eased the need to touch him.

"Did you finish your schoolwork?" he asked as he followed me into the house. I sat down on the sofa and he dropped into the seat next to me.

"Yeah, I got it all done." I answered. The TV was still on and the soft voices from some reality show flowed into the room.

"I can't believe you watch this rubbish," he teased me as he saw what was playing on the TV.

"Yeah, I know but I can't seem to help myself." I shrugged.

I found the remote on the coffee table and switched off the TV. He put his arm around my shoulder as we both sat on the sofa. I looked up to him, trying not to feel like I was hiding something from him.

"Are you okay?" he asked softly as he brushed my cheek with his finger.

Had he picked up on the fact that something was on my mind? I wasn't ready to come clean and tell him about the blue spark. My excuse was that I'd already explained it away and until something else happened to change that I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it.

"Yes, why?" I said, not feeling as confident as I should. My eyes never left his.

"You just seem quieter than usual." His eyes scanned my features.

He'd noticed. I felt like a child trying to hid the fact that I'd stolen a cookie out of the cookie jar without permission. My cheeks flushed despite my attempts to keep my composure.

"Everything's fine," I assured him breaking our eye contact. I found it difficult to deceive him with his eyes looking intensely into mine.

"Are you hungry?"

"Yeah," I admitted. I hadn't bothered eating anything other than the packet of crisps since I'd gotten home from school so I was feeling peckish.

"Do you want to come over to my house for supper? My mom is making lasagna," he asked, tilting his head to the side as he waited for my answer.

"Sure."

He stood up and pulled me to my feet. He ushered me out of my house and hand in hand we walked to his house. The aroma that hit me as I walked through the front door was delicious. My stomach growled in response, it smelt so good.

Jared walked into the kitchen and I followed behind. Catherine was busy in front of the oven. The delicious smell was coming from the oven. Her face lit up when she turned to us.

"Hi," she greeted me. She gave me a quick hug.

"Hi," I greeted back.

"Do you want something to drink?" Jared asked.

"Yes, please," I said.

"Soda?" he asked as he pulled a glass out of the cupboard.

Did I want a soda? I loved soda but for some reason the thought of it made my stomach roll.

"Water," I replied with a dismissive shrug of my shoulders.

Jared raised an eyebrow. Did I just say that? Water? Jared watched me closely before he got some cold water out of the fridge and poured me a glass.