Chapter 5 - Part 2

"I care about you too much to rush this," he explained on a serious note. His eyes serious.

The affect this boy had on me was something out of this world. I lost all control when he kissed me and I wanted more then I was probably ready for. Again he was right. We didn't need to rush things besides we had enough going on.

"You're just a tease," I muttered as he lay down next to me on the bed. He laughed and pulled me closer. My head lay on his chest and his arm wrapped around my body and he held me tightly.

My thoughts were fixed on how I felt about Jared and about how he felt about me. We hadn't mentioned any words of love yet but the right time would come. I knew that he did care about me and he would do anything to keep me safe.

I wondered if saying the special three words meant as much to the Archaic as it did to humans. Then I remembered what he'd mentioned about blending.

"What exactly is blending?" I asked, needing to know more. He was clearly not expecting the question because it took a full minute for him to answer me.

"Like I told you before blending is our way of making a commitment. Humans do marriage we do blending," he began to explain.

"So what exactly is involved in blending? Is there a white dress and veil involved?" I teased him.

"It isn't a requirement but some couples like to do the whole wedding thing," he further explained, "Blending between a human and an Archaic is quite simple. It is a two people coming together in the closest way possible..."

I blushed at this.

"It's more symbolic then anything else."

I blushed at the thought of a night together with Jared. There went my hormones again.

"Blending between an Archaic couple is more powerful. It's the same as the human and Archaic blending except when consummating a deeper connection is forged between the two partners."

"What do you mean by deeper connection?" I asked curiously.

"It's a link between the two partners. The strength and the intensity of the link differs from couple to couple. Some only develop a connection where emotions are shared but others can develop a link that is telepathic."

"Wow," I said. How weird would that be to be able to feel your partner's emotions? At times I could barely keep a handle on my own. How was it possible to deal with two lots of emotions?

A telepathic connection would be handy.

Then I thought about the link that I'd shared with Mason. The link had been strong enough for him to be able to find me when I was in an emotionless state.

"Are you able to find each other through the link like Mason was able to do with me?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"No, unless the information was relayed through telepathy."

It took a few moments for my next question to enter my mind.

"Is the connection permanent?" I asked.

"No. Less physical contact between the couple weakens the link."

Then I thought about all the young Archaic only having one parent.

"What if two Archaic have blended and one of them dies?" It was a sad thought but a hard reality with the knowledge that the Hue regularly murdered Archaic and their partners, it didn't matter whether the partners were human or Archaic. It also went without saying that the Hue murdered innocent humans that had nothing to do with the Archaic just because they felt like it. They were cold-blooded killers. They didn't have to have a reason to end a life.