Chapter 1 - Part 1

No matter how many times I blinked it didn't change the image in front of me

No matter how many times I blinked it didn't change the image in front of me. There in my open hand was a spark of blue energy. Blue. I kept looking at it hoping that it would change. White could be explained but blue didn't make any sense at all.

I began to panic. After all I'd been through couldn't things just go the way I expected. Every time my life seemed to calm down something would change and it would get complicated again.

I'd been through so much the past couple of weeks. I'd finally found some kind of normality with the fact that I was changing into a synthetic Archaic. I'd accepted I would never be just human again and I'd tried to adjust to my new life.

The anxious feeling, that I felt when I was away from Jared, increased. How could I feel like that and not be changing into an Archaic? It made no sense. When I'd been changing into a Hue I'd felt a burning need for Mason.

I continued to stare, confused, at the blue energy in my hand. At least when I'd been changing into a synthetic Hue I'd known what I was changing into. What if I was changing into something worse than a Hue? I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I didn't want to end up having a panic attack so I needed to calm myself down. When I opened my eyes again the blue energy vanished. I closed my hand and opened it again. Nothing.

I tried to remember back to my conversation with Mason. He'd explained vaguely that the change could be altered only before the change completed. Once the change was completed I would be a synthetic Hue forever.

He'd mentioned the altering and he'd mentioned bits and pieces about how it was done but as I searched my memory I realized at no point in the entire conversation had Mason mentioned what the altering would change me into. We'd all just assumed that when the Hue energy got drained and was replaced by the Archaic energy I would become a synthetic Archaic. Maybe that wasn't the case.

Nothing about this mutated human stuff was ever simple and easy. I needed to get myself together, I didn't want anyone to suspect something was wrong because I needed time to make sure before I told Jared. I hoped this was just a once off and I was panicking for nothing.

I shook my head. I wasn't going to start worrying just yet. One instance of something unexpected wasn't enough to thwart my hope that I was going to become an Archaic. I needed more proof to believe I was changing into something else and only then would I worry about it.

With my decision made I pulled my school bag over my shoulder and walked out of the bathroom. Jared was leaning against my locker waiting for me. He straightened up when I got to my locker.

"Where have you been?" he asked a little annoyed. His forehead creased and his eyes darker than usual.

"I'm sorry I just needed to go to the bathroom," I explained as I opened my locker and began to put my books away. I understood his nervousness at not knowing where I was. When I had disappeared a couple of times it had been hell for him.