Chapter 3 - Part 1

"It isn't what you think

"It isn't what you think." Tyler was the first one to talk when we joined Jared at his car. But Jared was still frowning.

"We need to get her inside the car and out of here now," Tyler instructed quietly but firmly so none of the students around would hear.

Jared had a questioning look on his face but he complied with Tyler's instruction. He opened the driver side of his car and climbed in. Tyler walked with me to the passenger side and helped me into the car. Once inside I tucked my arm under my own shirt. Tyler closed the passenger door and Jared started up the car and pulled out of the parking lot.

"What's going on?" Jared asked with an edge of anger. He threw me a side glance before turning his concentration back to the road ahead.

I wet my lips nervously with my tongue as I tried to figure out the best way to tell him. Although at this point there didn't seem to be a 'best' way.

"Can we wait till we get to the house and I'll explain," I answered, trying to delay it a bit.

I didn't want to have this heavy and in depth conversation in the car. Besides I didn't know how he would react when he saw my hand and he needed to concentrate on getting us home safely. He pressed his lips together but I could see his jaw tense as he drove us home.

As soon as we pulled up to his house he jumped out of the driver side and walked around to my side. He helped me out of the car. It wasn't so easy trying to get out of the car with my school bag in one hand and the other hand tightly tucked into the front of my shirt.

"What's wrong with your hand?" he asked when he saw my hand hidden into the front of my shirt. Surprisingly enough neither of us could see the light through the thin material of my shirt.

"Let's get inside and I'll show you," I insisted.

A slam of the car door and a few steps and we were both through his front door, safe and sound in his house. As soon as the front door closed he turned to me expectantly.

"What's going on?" he asked. His forehead creased in a frown. It was time to tell him.

"Well."

"Cut the bullshit and spit it out," he demanded, his eyes darkening with anger which wasn't a good sign.

I pulled my right hand out from under my shirt and revealed what I'd been hiding. Blue energy was still sporadically running across my hand.

A look of disbelief and bewilderment settled on his face. Slowly he reached out and gently touched the skin of my hand. I held my breath slightly waiting for something to happen but nothing did. It didn't hurt him at all.

"When did it happen?" he asked still watching my hand intently.

"Yesterday was the first time it happened." I told the truth even though there was a good chance it was going to land me up in more trouble.