Promise Me One Thing

It's been two hours since I last saw Grant.

"I'm going to drop off my homework and get some cloths to spend the night." I said to Melody.

"Okay." She agreed and I walked out of her room and down the stairs. I gathered my bag and walked straight out the door.

I walked passed the yellow daisies and onto the driveway. I noticed that Toby and Grant were passing the football in the yard.

"Hey! Ariel!" Grant yelled to get my attention and ran up to me.

"Yeah, what do you need?" I asked. Then I noticed he remembered my name.

"Can we um, walk and talk?" He asked me.

"Sure." We got onto the sidewalk. Grant looked back until we couldn't see Toby anymore and then said, "You can't be flirting with Toby."

"Why do you care? And he was flirting with me." I sassed.

"Because your supposed to be my fake girlfriend and girlfriends don't have more than one boyfriend."

"Why do you even need a fake girlfriend?" I yelled.

Grant sighed and said, "You better not tell anyone this, I'm trying to change my image. Everyone thinks that I'm just the guy that pretty and not smart at all, when really I get straight As. Everyone thinks that I can't even spell 'because.' And because of that everyone else thinks that I'm not good at anything else."

"Then why do you need me?" I asked him.

"Because, Ariel, your much different then other girls I've dated. Other girls I've dated are the reason why people think I'm stupid. Because dating girls like Harper make me seem dumb and not good at anything, because they are dumb and not good at anything. The reason why your different is because your smart, your funny, your good at sports, and your beautiful. No one can help not to like you. I never even forgot your name. I was just embarrassed and stupid and trying to act cool and carefree."

"You've won me over. I'll try my best." I said and we got to my driveway.

"Ariel, just promise me one thing. Please don't tell anyone else and please don't mess this up."

"I promise."