Chapter 2

Why Goodbye?

"As much as it would pain me to see you leave, you should do what you must. And if leaving would aid your journey, then I wish you nothing but the best. I will still love you as my own son and pray for you every day."

Ray turned over in bed and reflected those words from his conversation with King Jeremy, the night before. The king appeared to be more understanding than Ray initially thought he would, even going as far as supporting his difficult decision. It didn't make it any easier to tell him, but he was glad he did. Honestly, those words relieved him a bit.

The hardest part, though, would come from breaking the news to his friends and to Kayla. Ray contemplated over and over on how he would break the news; either way he went, they would be devastated. Who would he ask first? How would he start? What words would he use? Should he meet them all at once? Individually? After much more contemplation, Ray decided it would be best to tell Kayla first. She would probably take it the hardest, but he would rather have it off of his conscience first.

And hour later, Falcon landed on the Koral Estate, near the house. Ray hopped down and stepped onto the veranda on the front yard, where Kayla sat and patiently awaited him. Kayla looked radiant in her yellow dress, her brown eyes sparkling upon seeing him. Ray's heart turned to lead just looking at her, her cheerfulness as bright as the sun. Every footstep felt like he sunk into the earth. But, he took a deep breath and walked onto the veranda.

"Hey," he started. "I'm glad you're meeting with me."

Kayla looked concerned. "Is everything okay? Your message sounded important."

Ray rehearsed his lines over and over on the trip there. He had the right words to break things down easily, smooth things over. Now, he couldn't even find the words. Come on, you coward- tell her! He looked her in the eyes and just came out with:

"Kayla, I'm leaving."

Just Perfect! Kayla, obviously displeased, didn't seem to understand. "This isn't funny, Ray. Seriously, what is it?"

Ray took up her hands. "I'm serious Kayla. I'm leaving Central Kingdom- today. I came here to say goodbye."

"What!" she said, snatching her hands away. "What do you mean, 'goodbye'? You're leaving?"

"Yes," Ray answered, lowering his head.

"Why?" Kayla demanded, clearly upset now. She crossed her arms and beamed at him; even when she's mad, she's cute. But that isn't helping the situation.

"Kayla, don't be that way..."

"What way? When did you come to this decision?"

Ray sighed. "Last night."

She narrowed her eyes. "Is that what you were thinking about when I ran in to you, yesterday? Why didn't you say something? We held hands, Ray- I thought that meant something.

"It does."

"Then why would you want to leave now, after everything we've all been through?"

"It's time for me to move on, Kayla," Ray replied. "I enjoyed my stay in Central Kingdom, but my journey is leading me away again. I have to go search for Ren, now, on my own."

"So the others aren't going with you?"

"...No," Ray answered. "I have to do this alone."

This time, Kayla jumped to her feet. "How come you have to do it alone? You friends are all together because of you? How could you do that to them? To me? Don't we mean anything to you?"