Chapter 5

Dark Valley

Falcon placed his head on Ray's shoulder as Ray stroked his snout. "Are we all ready to move?"

John clapped his hands and his magician's robe, blue and decorated with white stars, appeared before him. He put it on, reached into its left pocket, and pulled out a book no bigger than his hand. A second later, it grew into his large spell book.

"Now, let me see," John mumbled, running his finger through the pages of his now levitating book. "Aha- here we go!"

He drew his wand from his right pocket and said, "Equum volantem!" With a flick of his wand, two little balls of light touched the ground and transformed into mature winged steeds.

"Amazing!" Jerry said.

"Thanks. These steeds are going to transport us. Hop on!"

Jerry did as told and John climbed onto his flying horse as well. On Falcon's back, Ray moved over beside them.

"Remember guys- this is war," he articulated. "We have to put everything we've got into this, so go all out. Let's go!"

Jerry and John lightly tapped their flying steeds with their feet and they took off. Falcon took flight after them. Yang used fire from his hands to drive forward and Yin did the same with her powers, using ice under her feet to slide on. The Celestials rushed off to the southwest, all with the vision of the end in sight.

Dark Valley came into view after thirty minutes of travel. As they neared the land of no sunshine, a whole horde of flying demons poured out of the forest. Jerry and John allowed Falcon and Ray to take the lead. Ray drew the Teketsu from its sheath and changed it into its usual middle state.

"Duck Falcon!" he instructed. Falcon lowered his head and Ray unleashed two massive sword blasts. One following the other, they completely destroyed every demon they came into contact with. Yang took the moment to join the fray and used his fire to rocket himself into the sky. He then used his flames under his feet to fly around in midair, frying any demons in his path.

Ray slashed away at the remaining demons as Falcon bit and thrashed them away with his tail. Ray stood. Leaped off of Falcon's back, and destroyed more demons with sword blasts, using the updraft from them to keep himself suspended in the sky as he moved along. Falcon finally swooped under him and he landed, gently, on his back. Between Ray and Yang, most of the horde had been wiped out. All remaining were frozen in ice and fell to their doom.

"Way to go, Yin!" Jerry cheered.

John, on the other hand, observed Ray. "So that's what a Mekai can do when their serious," he said to himself, aloud. He's on a whole other level!

With all of the aerial demons gone, the Celestials continued on their path. Dark Valley sat in the middle of humongous hills; if the valley were an island, these hills would serve as the ocean. Everyone swooped down into Dark Valley and landed. A sign sat there with the words "TURN BACK OR ABANDON HOPE". And apart from creepy caws and squeals, Dark Valley remained silent as the team ran through it.

Along the way, a pack of bokahns blocked their path. The salivating creatures spared no time coming after them and Falcon jumped ahead of everyone. He fought off the bokahns, who showed no hesitation against the dragon. Falcon rolled and tussled with them, with his deep growl harmonizing with their vicious ones.

"Come on," Ray told the others, running. The rest of the team followed.

"What about Falcon?" Yin asked.

"Trust me, he's fine!" Ray said. "I have complete faith in him."

The Celestials pressed on. All of the trees in Dark Valley were barren. Except for shrubs and brush, leaves only existed in the minds of the five travelers. The valley contained a strong and warm draft, which eerily hissed as it passed through the bare branches. Ray could tell they grew closer to Mt. Fury by the sudden red and orange light, up ahead. Then the serpent warriors and lizard soldiers came.