Chapter 1 Going Home

Ellie POV

Ellie had the windows down and the radio turned up about 3 hours into her 4 hour drive home to Jefferson, Georgia. She was singing along with the radio when Brantley Gilbert's song You Don't know Her Like I Do comes on. Hearing his voice takes her back to her growing up years, they were always together. She laughs when she thinks of his momma catching them smoking in the barn and the tongue lashing she gave them or the bonfires they had every Friday night. Those are some of her fondest memories. She listens to his song and wonders if his best friend he's talking about is her. Ten years ago it would have been, not sure who holds that spot now. Ellie is going home to heal, Alabama has been home to her for the last ten years but not anymore. She needs her feet to be in that red Georgia clay. She realizes the tears have started again so she wipes them away and looks in the mirror and tells herself to suck it up. She makes the turn on 129 and the memories all come flooding back. The first 19 years of her life was here. There isn't a spot or place that doesn't have a memory of her and Brantley.
      She knew coming home after 10 years would be hard but she didn't expect it to be this hard. The real estate agent had the house opened and a cleaning service came in once a week, so she only had to unload what she had in her Ford Explorer. The only person that she had kept in contact with the last 10 years was her cousin Amy, but she could hardly wait to go see Momma Becky once she got everything unpacked.
         About that time her phone rang and it was Amy wanting to know where she was and did she want to go to the bonfire with her tonight. Amy I am on 129, and I am about to stop for gas and I should be at the house in 30 minutes. I don't know about the bonfire yet, Amy do you really think I need to go? Hell  yeah, Ellison Claire you need to go, be around people who love you and have missed you. Besides you know they were always fun and they still are. Same folks except we are adults getting together to blow off steam. Elli told her she would think about it and she needed to go as she was pulling in the convenience store to get gas. She gets gas and runs into Ben and he asks if she's visiting and she said No I'm home. He said for good Ellie and she smiles and said yeah for good. Ben said well things haven't changed that much it's Friday night so I expect to see you at Pott's at dark. If not I know where you live and I will come get you. She grins and says okay Ben. How did you break your arm? An accident, you would think being a nurse I wouldn't have to see the doctors right? Ben laughed and said see you at dark. She paid for her gas and went to the pumps, she could swear BG had just went by but that was probably wishful thinking since everything reminded her of a memory of them.

BG POV

       Brantley was driving down 129 headed to his momma's house with the radio blasting. Then You Don't Know Her Like I Do came on and it was kinda weird to hear himself on the radio. That song always took him back to his growing up years and that blonde haired, blue eyed tan legged girl who he spent every waking moment with. She was always up for anything and he grins as he thinks of some of the things they got into. Smoking for the first time, practicing kissing on each other so Jimmy and Beth wouldn't know they had never kissed anyone before, and senior trip in Panama City. It's hard to believe she has been gone 10 years, but there isn't a day that goes by that he doesn't think about her. How her walking away 10 years ago is probably what saved his life. If he could only have a chance to tell her.
      He passes Ellie's parents house and thinks how long they have been gone. 11 years the night of graduation, the bonfire and the sheriff coming out to Pott's farm to get Ellie. He still remembers the sounds of her screams that night. How he held her all night telling her that he was there he wouldn't go anywhere. He sees that it has been cleaned up looking like someone was living there now. He guessed she finally sold it, severing her last ties to this Georgia clay. He felt the tears slide down his face and he thinks of how he last time he saw Ellie , he hurt her. What she said and done was the best thing that happened to him, even if it made him mad. She is the reason he has the success he does. Almost every song he has written is about her or she's in it somewhere either in a phrase she said, or one of our experiences.

          Brantley's phone rings and its Kolby, he asks where he is and BG tells him he just passed the Sanders old place. BG asked if it had been sold cause it was cleaned up looking like someone was living there now. Kolby told him not that he knew and asked him was he gonna come to the bonfire tonight. BG told him he didn't know yet he was just getting off tour and he was tired. Come on BG, let loose and come hang out with your friends . They all want to see you brother. Okay Kolby I will make an appearance but I ain't promising that I will stay long tonight. Good deal brother, see you in a little while.
BG turns into his mother's driveway and parks. As he gets out of his truck Momma Becky comes out on the porch and sees its him. She meets him for a hug and tells him it's good to have him home. BG said Angel , I missed you and I love you momma. I love you too son! Now come in and eat and you can tell me what's on your mind.
Just what's always on my mind momma, Ellie and wondering if she's okay if she has accomplished her dreams like I have. I passed by the Sanders place and it look like someone is living there now. So I guess she has finally cut all ties to this red Georgia clay. I just wish I had one chance to tell her thanks, I am what I am because of her. Son , this is home for Ellie just like it is for you. She will come back one day and you will get your chance , this is Ellison Claire you are talking about. BG laughed and said your right momma like always. She hugged him and said you headed to the bonfire? Yeah I told Kolby I would stop by for a few minutes. I love you Angel! I love you too son!