Chapter 14 Doctor

Ellie signs in at Dr. Smith's window and took the paperwork to fill out. She does the best she can with her right arm in a cast. She's hoping it can come off today.  She has her medical records just in case the hospital didn't forward them to Dr. Smith like she had instructed. She returns the paperwork and talks with Kimberly the receptionist and what she has been up to the last 10 years. She returns to her seat and Brantley tells her that her phone has went off.
     Ellie checks it and the message was from David, her friend the cop.

David: Dr appt today right?

Ellie: sitting in the office now

David: let me know how it goes

Ellie : I will, got to go they called my name.

    They called Ellie's name and her and Brantley stand up to go back . The nurse places Ellie in a room and Brantley takes a chair as Ellie slips on the patient gown.
    Dr Smith comes in and catches up with Ellie and he asks if she has her records. Ellie said yeah I was afraid that they wouldn't send them like I asked as she hands over her file.
     He opens her file and he sucks in a breath and she knows that he's looking at the pictures they included. Dr Smith looks at Ellie and said,"You had a damn fine reconstruction surgeon cause I can't tell that you look any different Ellie. We will get an X-ray of the arm and I will check you abdomen and then do your pelvic exam." 
    Brantley looks at Dr Smith and said," What did you mean she had a damn fine reconstruction surgeon?"
   Dr Smith looks to Ellie," He hasn't seen the pictures?"
     Ellie said," no because I don't want my friends to see me like that, they have seen the bruises on my face and they know the basics of what happened but no details. Go ahead and let him see while we are doing the X-ray."
    Dr. Smith gave Brantley the file and he takes Ellie to X-ray her arm. Brantley opens the folder and he looks and he breaks down crying. The photos in the folder are unrecognizable, you can barely tell that it is a human. Her face is so swollen and black. She had a tube in her mouth and slits for eyes. The photos of her body weren't much better. He is sobbing and he comes face to face that he almost lost her for good. She went through this because he told her to leave and never come back. His heart is breaking in half. He vows to himself that he will never say something without thinking it through when it comes to her. He also promised himself that he would make her know how much he loved her every day because she was a precious gift that he took for granted for 19 years. She was in every memory he had the first 19 years of his life. If that bastard was alive he'd kill him hisself. He was a little took back when he saw her text was from a guy but then he saw the question was about her dr appt. he figured it was one of her friends from Alabama or the cop that killed the guy. Ellie had said they were friends and hung out but neither wanted serious. Still gonna ask her on the way home. He looks at the pictures of his sweet Ellie and he is sobbing when Ellie walks back in. She said," that's why I haven't showed them to anyone. "
Brantley gets up and hugs Ellie and looks at her, never again can you leave me. I almost lost you and technically we did lose you El , 4 damn times. I wouldn't have made it without you. You are my life Ellie and from here on out I'm gonna show you. That's a promise!" He kisses her and she just lets him because she knows that her world is right again.
Dr Smith said," well looking at your X-rays and reading the doctors notes I can say that the cast can come off today and put you in a brace and start physical therapy. Now for the the other parts, Brantley you may want to step out until we finish son. Brantley looked at Ellie and Dr Smith and said," I'm not leaving her. Do what you have to but I'm gonna be right by her side."
Dr Smith examined the incisions and the scars and told her they were healing nicely. He told her to slide down and he did her pelvic exam. "Everything is healing nicely and the stitches have dissolved. So you are good to go as soon as we cut the cast off and I set up your PT. I will see you back in 4 weeks Ellie to check that arm and your physical therapy progress. We are gonna draw some blood and check how everything is also. But other than the arm and the bruising that will continue to fade you are healed up nicely."
Ellie asked " Since everything has healed does that mean that it's okay for intercourse?"
Dr Smith said," Yes but my advice would be to start out slow Ellie, from the report there was a good bit of damage, so Brantley I'm gonna tell you take it easy to begin with, if it hurts then stop. I know you want to get on with life Ellie but you need to listen to your body on this okay. Now this doesn't have you on oral contraceptives, so do you need a prescription for those?"
Ellie said," Dr. Ortega and I discussed oral contraceptives after I woke up and he explained how bad everything was but he wanted me to heal completely before starting them just to make sure there weren't any problems. So I don't have a prescription but will need one. "
" Okay I will write you one after I get this cast off you." Dr Smith says as he cuts the cast off. The nurse comes in and draws her blood and gives her the prescription and fits her right arm with a brace and hands her the PT appointment slip.