F O R T Y - S E V E N

FORTY-SEVEN
CAFFEINE

"I've begun to think you were lying," Thomas said, "in those texts you sent to Lacey about me. You said you smiled when I texted you, and now I'm holding your hand and you look like you're trying to burn a hole in an imaginary person's head."

Oh, no he didn't.

"Maybe I did," Artemis said. Just a second later, she realized there was no point in playing games - they weren't teenagers. She dropped the act. "I am smiling. On the inside, because the size of my smile would be horribly creepy."

She afforded herself one look at Thomas as they walked and she caught him smiling widely at her. Suppressing a smile became twice as difficult. 

"You know, those texts were pretty cute," Thomas noted.

"I was on a lot of caffeine," Artemis retorted.

"Do I really make you feel like that?"

"I said, caffeine."

"Oh, come on," Thomas whined. "I'm trying here!"

Artemis stopped in place and looked him dead in the eye. "We haven't talked in days. You left me on read."

Thomas's mouth dropped. "Are you really mad about that?!"

Artemis huffed. "Whatever you're planning, better be good."

"It will be, I promise." 

So they walked. A part of it went in silence, which Artemis spent thinking about how good it felt to be holding Thomas's hand. It felt - wait for the cheesiness - almost as if it belonged there. It just felt right. Artemis hated it because this was most definitely not supposed to go down like this. They've known each other in real life for a brief twenty minutes and were holding hands for over three fourths of that time.

The rest of the walk, when the silence was too hard to bear, they spent in small talk. Well, not exactly - they were talking about the flight, about filming and how Thomas accidentally admitted his feelings for her. He clarified that, while it wasn't love, he did feel something.

Artemis found it odd. They had admitted to each other they mutually liked each other, yet neither acted upon that. Well, except hand holding - but that doesn't count, right? 

This was different to any other situation Artemis has been in and she was pretty certain it was because, after all, they were no longer horny and clingy and overexcited and hyper teens. They knew what acting upon stuff like that meant and they knew a bit more about relationships than teens. 

Which was a good thing, really, because the last time something like that happened, Artemis most definitely rushed into the relationship and ended up breaking up with her girlfriend about a month later because - as it turned out - neither of them was ready. 

Artemis wasn't ready for anything with Thomas. Well, maybe she was, but not like this. It just wasn't right. 

She just hoped he thought the same.

[these are my otp so much oh my god]