F O R T Y - N I N E

FORTY-NINE
S O M E D A Y

Artemis met Dylan O'Brien, Dylan Sprayberry, Britt Robertson and Eleanor Oswald that night. It was all a bit of a blur, really, but she could clearly remember her, Ellie and Britt hanging out and having a really good time at the party. Ellie also told her everything about the plan to get her here, but Artemis blacked that out. It didn't matter.

This was a real party. The people there - she wasn't sure, but she might've seen Kit Harrington and Rose Leslie - were all here for her, without even knowing that. The only six people who knew that kept it a secret so, for the night, all she ever was, was Artemis Talahee, Thomas Brodie-Sangster's date for the night.

Later, when she stopped drinking so much - even Ellie drank, despite being a year short of legal - Thomas told her he'd invited some people. Apparently, Kit and Rose - both of whom Artemis had gotten to meet later that night and absolutely went full on Emily Archer and fangirled over them - were in London and decided that they could go to the exhibition. 

The party itself was organised by Dylan, Thomas and Ellie - the other Dylan didn't really know shit about planning, so his girlfriend did it for them both. Britt didn't take part in it because she was busy filming something. But it was all Thomas's idea, as Dylan told her because Thomas was too ashamed to.

Artemis thought she would get to meet couple of celebrities she'd actually known from texting, but she'd gotten to meet so much of them. For some reason, they liked her art, even though some came only for the party. 

She had no idea celebrities enjoyed things she made and this suddenly made it all more real. So, because of that, Artemis got herself away from the party and into the gallery, wandering around mindlessly. 

All of this was hers and no one could ever know that. In some way, that made her sad.

"Hey," she heard.

Artemis turned around; Thomas was leaning against a wall, looking all fabulous while smiling at her. He didn't drink much, and neither did Dylan - because of the filming tomorrow, they said. Thomas walked over to her, looking like a very happy sunflower. 

Honestly, Artemis had no idea what she was thinking. She was sad and happy and pretty intoxicated. 

"Do you like it?" Artemis asked, pointing at the picture before them. "I mean, it's a mess. I don't even know what I was thinking when I painted it. Why do people even like it?"

"I don't know," Thomas said. "I just do. It makes me feel like maybe, someday, I could figure you out."

"That's stupid."

"No, it's not. If you were in my position, you'd know exactly what I meant."

They were quiet for a while and it was the nice kind of quiet. Artemis realized she liked this very much - this whole thing, really. Being with Thomas, looking at her art and him knowing it's hers. It was something that probably wasn't going to happen again in a long time. 

That was when Artemis remembered Eleanor's advice and grabbed Thomas's hand and took him to the only place where she could be honest.

[next chapter is my absolute favourite.]