015. The Real Winner

A/N: Check out Paper Flowers's part in the trailer above!

015. The Real Winner

At Aquino High, wrongdoings are never forgiven.

I realize as I arrive at my locker the next morning and see the blue ten plastered on the front that I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know what I'd been thinking, kissing Taylor at the party and confessing that maybe we have something. It felt right at the time, and deep inside me it still does feel like it's meant to be, but the practicality of the situation is nonexistent. Taylor and I can only be together in a world where all the crimes of the past have been forgotten.

And at Aquino High, wrongdoings are never forgiven.

As I enter my locker combination and swing open the door, I see Taylor approaching me out of the corner of my eye. Instantly my skin turns into some strange combination of hot and cold, and my stomach is twisting more furiously than it ever has before. I contemplate walking away before he arrives but am trapped.

"Hey, Erika," he says, coming to a stop and leaning against the locker next to mine.

I try to ignore the pounding sensation in my heart that is making me dizzy. "Hey."

When I turn to him all I can see are his lips, which remind me of what happened last night. Suddenly I have to lean against my locker for support.

He reaches out a hand and tucks a piece of hair behind my ear, causing me to suck in my breath. I know in the context of what happened last night this seems like something perfectly normal and acceptable to do, but now, in the middle of Aquino High with everyone's eyes on us, it feels wrong. People will put together the pieces. They'll speculate. And they'll see me for what I am: a backstabber.

"I have to go," I say abruptly, pulling away from him. I don't bother to grab anything except my calc book and my backpack as I make my way down the hallway, keeping my head lowered to the floor.

Someone grabs my shoulder and I whirl around. I expect it to be Taylor, coming for some type of explanation to my bizarre behavior, but instead it's Allison. She's covered her fatigue well with a practiced blend of concealer and foundation, but it's impossible to miss the dullness in her eyes.

"You were at Liam's last night," she says.

It's not even a question, so I know there's no use denying it. "So were you," I say. "I saw you."

"Was that before or after you snuck off with Taylor?"

My vision swims before my eyes, a conglomeration of the students and Post-Its lining the halls. Color merges with shape, which blends with movement.

"Erika."

Allison's hand comes down on my shoulder again and I slowly gain back my balance. This can't be happening to me. For a second I reason that I can walk away and ignore this problem, but I know I can't hide forever.

I shut my eyes to gain my composure and when I open them again, force myself to look directly at my sister. "After. Taylor and I weren't doing anything. We just talked."

"You guys are close now?" she asks. Surprisingly, her tone isn't accusing.

"Yeah. I mean, sort of. We've been talking a lot."

She falls back against the locker nearest to her, one with a red five on it. The underclassman who is nearby scurries away to make room for her as she begins braiding her dirty blonde hair. "I'm only saying this because I'm lost and confused and I don't have anyone else to talk to about this," she says, her voice low enough that I have to strain to hear it. "But I'm lost and confused. I don't have feelings for him anymore but I can't deny that I did once. But now he's my twin?"