016. Friday Night

A/N: Sorry I missed yesterday's update!  Here it is, sadly a day late :)

016. Friday Night

At Aquino High, secrets are always pushed out into the open.

The next few days pass in a blur. Suddenly, I'm so busy with homework and my GPA that I don't have time to worry about the Post-It note system or Allison or even my relationship with Taylor. It's like I've become a little hermit, tucked back into my shell. I focus only on putting forward my best self as I go from school to home and back to school again.

Friday at lunch, I'm sitting with my homework planner in front of me, scribbling notes in purple pen. On either side of me, Brynn and Cassidy discuss the latest drama in our grade. When their voices grow too loud, I turn to them and hiss, "Sh! I'm trying to focus."

Cassidy rolls her eyes lightly, but Brynn leans forward and pulls my planner towards her. "This to do list isn't for tonight, is it?"

I scan the neatly color-coded notes from upside-down. "Yes," I say slowly. "I have tons to do. We have a calc test next week and I'm not really ready—"

"Slow down!" exclaims Cassidy. "You're so ready. The test is on basic integration. It's no biggie."

Brynn pipes up, "Besides! We're coming over to your place for sleepover tonight. Remember?"

For a few seconds I battle between the list in front of me and my friends on either side of me; then, I relent and nod. "Yeah, sure. Sounds fun."

At least staying in is better than going to Taylor's party. I think about last Friday, when I first started getting in this mess with him—when I first realized how beautiful he is close up even though he's dangerous. And then Monday, I was stupid and hadn't taken the time to think about how my actions would affect others. In the moment it was fun to be reckless, but now that I'm dealing with the consequences I wish I could go back and change it all.

Almost, but not quite. A small part of me is still clinging to Taylor, and I can't let that part of me let go no matter how hard I try.

This is made more difficult by the fact that Taylor has been pursuing me the last few days, always managing to pop up for a quick conversation whenever I'm alone. Usually I just make up some excuse about my schedule and disappear, but the throbbing in my chest tells me that I want to be with him. I just don't know how.

Cassidy and Brynn are still gossiping. I know I should go to them first for help, but they're too invested in the situation and what do I tell them if they ask me to give details? So I do what I've been doing more frequently as of late and text Liam instead.

What would you do if you're gut's telling you to do one thing, but you know it's stupid and reckless and you'll probably get hurt?

My phone buzzes instantly and my fingers reach out to snatch it up from the table. I'd go for it. You never know :)

And so because Liam has given me no excuse to back out, I commit to going for it.

*

My opportunity comes after school as I'm walking to the parking lot and my phone buzzes. It's not the first time Taylor has called me since Monday, but it is the first time that I've picked up with a trace of a smile on my face.

"Hey, you," I say, unlocking my car.

"Hey." His voice cracks the way it always does when he smiles. "Got any plans tonight?"