037. The Last Secret

At Aquino High, I think some secrets are best kept in the dark.

I wake up the next morning with a heavy arm wrapped around me.  It's clinging tight to my waist, and once I've woken up a little more I realize it's attached to a strong torso and clearly defined abs that I can feel pressed up against my back.

I roll over, simultaneously rubbing sleep out of my eyes.  Taylor is still asleep, his characteristically stern features relaxed and his forehead smoothed where it's usually creased.  I want to reach out and trace my fingers along the contours of his face, feeling his angled jawline and the sharp curve of his nose and how slack the usually tight line of his lips is.  

With half-open eyes I study him for several minutes, admiring the way the gentle morning light creates fascinating shadows on his bare skin.  There's no denying that he's beautiful.

One of our phones buzzes on the nightstand, and I reach over to fumble with it.  Allison's texting me, and I squint against the harsh light of the screen to read her message.  Why aren't you in class?  Mrs. Rutledge is pissed lol.  You're supposed to be here for the quiz.

I sit up straighter, suddenly very awake.  The clock on my phone reads nine o'clock—we overslept.  Scooting back over to Taylor, I shake his shoulders as hard as I can, startling him awake.

"Erika?" he asks blearily.

"Get up!"  I swing my legs over the side of the bed, smoothing out my t-shirt.  "We're late for school."

"So what?"  His arm curls around my waist and effortlessly pulls me back against him as he kisses the back of my neck.  "Stay here a little longer.  I guarantee you aren't missing anything important."

It's hard to concentrate with his lips on me, but I force out a coherent sentence.  "Actually, I'm supposed to be taking a calc quiz right now."

"And?  You're already valedictorian."

"That's not the point."  Frustrated, I wriggle out of his grasp.  "I'm heading to school.  Come with me if you want."

He watches as I shrug out of my t-shirt and into my clothes, flattening my lips into a thin line as I realize I'll have to stop at home first.  People will definitely notice if I'm wearing the same clothes I wore to school yesterday, especially since they're rumpled from lying in a pile for so long.

I grab my phone and head out of the bedroom, calling after me, "Text me, okay?"

"Can't.  I lost my phone."

"Whose phone is that on the nightstand then?"

There's a rustling and then he says, "Liam's, right?  Didn't you have it yesterday?"

"Right."  After everything that's happened I'd almost forgotten.  "I'll return it to him.  It's locked and there nothing we can gain from it anyway."

He doesn't argue so I tuck the phone into my pocket before heading down the stairs.  I feel almost ashamed as I let myself out of his house and jog towards my car.  My hair's a mess, I'm wearing no makeup, and yesterday's clothes are haphazardly draped across my body as if I'm tricking myself into thinking I'm put together.  By the time I go home and get ready, I'll be lucky to make it to school by third period.

I text Allison to let her know not to worry, even though I'm already expecting a barrage of questions about last night's events. I have no idea how I'll cover for myself, but I put that aside to worry about later.