022. Confession

A/N: Surprise! Bonus update ;) I think I may start updating on Tuesdays also.  Thoughts?

Who wants to play that crazy comment game again?

022. Confession

At Aquino High, if you let people know you're drowning, they'll just push you down even faster.

Despite my conversation with him, Liam is insistent to maintain his tradition of a Monday night party. I skip the football game so that I can work on homework, but Allison drags me to Liam's house afterwards.

I shouldn't complain. I've finished all my studying for the evening, my grades are sparkling, and I know more than anyone that I could use some down time to enjoy my friends. As we pull up in his driveway and I hear the bass from the music echoing through the yard, I even start to get excited. The last time I was at a party, I started something I shouldn't have with Taylor. Now, I'm going to make better memories.

Inside, it doesn't take long at all to find our friends. They're all crashed on the living room couches, talking over each other about something or another. Celia is perched on Liam's lap in an armchair, and on the chaise beside them Spencer is sitting alone. When I plop down beside him, he surprises me with a quick kiss on the top of my head.

"Well," says Allison, sitting down gracefully beside Brynn on the couch, "Now that we're here, the party can officially get started."

"You got that right," Liam says, picking up Celia so that he can stand. "Who wants something to drink?"

He disappears into the kitchen and I lean into Spencer, inhaling so I can smell his cologne. The party is more crowded than usual, and I even spot a few juniors mingling around the room. Either word's gotten out about Liam's parties or he decided to start inviting more people. I like it this way, though—the more people there are, the less exclusive it feels.

However, I see one person in the corner who doesn't look like he's enjoying himself. Taylor is leaning against the fireplace, sipping from a plastic cup and watching the scene with tired eyes. I think about all the questions I have for him and before I know it, I've started walking over to him.

"Erika!" Spencer grabs my arm and tugs me back. "You shouldn't go talk to him. Remember what he did to you?"

I wiggle my arm out of his grip. "It's fine. He's harmless after a few drinks."

Spencer opens his mouth to protest but I've already slipped into the crowd. With every step I take, regret slowly builds, but then I'm right in front of him and there's no way I can turn back.

After a deep breath, I say, "Hey."

He drains the last of his cup and crumples it in his hand. "Why is it that we always seek each other out during parties?"

He's still standing firmly on both feet, and his breath doesn't smell too strong. He won't tell me anything yet.

"Let's go get a drink," I say, looping my arm through his. I can tell he's surprised but he follows me willingly anyway—maybe he has a little more alcohol in his system than I originally thought.

In the kitchen, I skirt around Liam so he doesn't ask questions and grab two cups. I hand one to Taylor and hold on to the other. He doesn't seem to notice that I'm not drinking anything as he guzzles his cup down.

"There, that's better, isn't it?" I ask, snatching another cup on our way out of the kitchen. "Let's go somewhere quiet."

He trips on his tennis shoes but recovers quickly, leaning on me as I guide him towards Liam's porch. It's cold outside, and I try not to think of what happened the last time I sat on a porch with Taylor. Instead, I collapse down on the wooden steps and set both still-full cups beside me.