1

Feel free to listen and replay as you read!

The Prologue -Halsey

*UNEDITED BC IM AWFUL*

Pink roses.

Everyone knows you throw pink roses at a ballet recital or casting call. And here are all these white roses littering my stage.

Well, it wasn't mine per say, but mine for the 36 and a half minutes I was able to perform on it.

Clapping and hollering came my way though my ears were sore from critiques. I had finished my debut 9 o'clock show of Mariana, originally a violin piece but my instructor decided to convert it into a whole show. I disagreed but kept my pink lips shut as usual. Why everything must change is beyond me but I was never one to question something that had been set aside for me. There were scouts in the crowd looking for the right ballerina for their rendition of Swan Lake and I wasn't about to mess it up for myself.

I was the 2nd lead. Mr. Corvelli insisted on having two white angels to accompany the piece and tone of purity. Of course he chose Angelina. She was one of the best among our company, not to mention her glowing blonde hair that screamed lead ballerina. I was a surprise. But due to complications, I was beside Angelina in roles. I was the only one with dark hair, pale skin, and the same height as Angelina.

I pranced off stage, making sure my delicate pink ballet shoes weren't to touch the toxicity of white roses. People congratulated me and my performance, saying I'd never done it more beautifully. As if the word 'perfect' would be a sin in their mouth. I smiled and thanked them.

I had known from the start that I wouldn't be the one the ballet agents picked. I had technical issues and I was not tall or particularly skinny. Overweight? No. Ballerina body? No. I wasn't very unhappy knowing the role wasn't going to me. To be frank, I didn't want nor need it. I hoped Angelina would get it, the only girl really deserving of the role at our company.

I grinned wildly.

My mother graced the stage many times before me so being put in dance class at age 2 was a must for me. I chose the ballet classes as a young child because of course the shoes were pink.

I was walking throughout the backstage hallways, going no where in particular when a crew member handed me a bouquet of flowers and lollipops. It wasn't unusual that things would be handed my way after performances. All major roles would get their favorite flowers, courtesy of Mr. Corevelli. I stuck my face in my pink roses.  I graciously thanked the crew member, walking away and taking off a cherry lollipop when I would no longer be seen or judged. It was heart shaped and I smiled, putting it in my mouth to suck on.

I was there. Sitting on the floor of the gray cinderblocked hallway of the auditorium, mere silence as my company, with flowers in my grip and a lollipop in my mouth. I was quite content. The back of my white tutu must've been squished and my white tights-claded legs were sprawled out in front of me. Seeing everyone right after my performances is never quite what I'm fond of. Everyone left me alone and I was okay. My mother was probably looking for me by now but I'd let her wait.

A few minutes later I saw Angelina walking down the hallway with her lilly flowers. She didn't get candy. I smiled.

"Great job, Adeline! You were amazing!" She grinned.

"Thank you. You as well, Angelina." I returned the gesture as she walked on, probably to her dressing room. Angelina was nice.

--

"My baby!" My mother yelled, ignoring the tears on her cheeks to engulf me in a hug. I'd finally cared enough to look for my family in the seat of the auditorium. She couldn't keep from crying when watching me. I think it's because she too wants to be out on stage with me. My mother was a woman of attention, saying that bad press existed, just not about her. I would always smile and nod.

"You were downright gorgeous on that stage! My little Adeline Rose up there in white! I never thought I'd see the day." She gushed and squeezed my shoulder affectionately. Some times I wish my my mother would just stop.

"Mother, don't call me that." I smiled to delude the harsh comment. My mother did want whats best for me, after all. She responded with a bone-cracking hug.

She crushed my tutu.

"Thank you, mother." I ended up interrupting her as she spilled compliments towards me. She took that as her time to stop and take me home. I really wanted a nap.

"Adeline, you're going to stain your white costume with that red sucker!" Red and white make Pink. I rolled my eyes. I hated that she called lollipops 'suckers'. The only things that should be sucked are honey suckles. They have the word in them.

"Mother, please." I ended it there. We were in the car now and she hated fighting in the car. I never asked her why but I didn't care to know, truthfully. "You can't have lollipops and expect me not to eat one."

"Okay, Adeline." She retorted, assertive for me to stop arguing and she would be quiet as well.

--

I did end up dropping the red candy on my pink pajamas. I groaned but didn't change. They were a satin set and the stain would come out eventually. It was just past midnight, my favorite hour. When everything is silent, the sky of night is black with envy for day, and people are nonexistent.

My phone vibrated from my nightstand and I immediately went to check it. If it's about Lucas, don't respond right away, I told myself.

Angelina: You forgot your roses at the auditorium! I brought them home for you and I'll swing by to drop them off at your house tomorrow. You did great tonight! Angelina was seventeen and had her own car.

I glanced back at my dresser, seeing the pink roses laying in plastic.

Me: Thank you! But, I don't think those flowers are mine. I'm positive I brought home my pink roses.

I waited a few moments, eager to get her response so I could close the conversation and go to sleep.

Angelina: Hmm, I know you love white roses and they are addressed to you. Maybe you got two! I'll drop them off anyway. Goodnight, Addie!

Me: Thank you lots and goodnight, Ang.

PINK roses, Angelina.

___________________________

OooOOOooooOh. Who u think the roses are from????

Anywhore, first chapter is done. It is really bad but I think the book will get better (pls)

Please comment and vote because I really want this book to be good!

xx, Haley