4

Feel free to listen and replay as you read!

Guys My Age -Hey Violet

You guys look at my egg socks!!!1!1!!1 im officially a real egg

My mother seemed to see no evil in the man. I was aware my mother lived in her own special bubble but not enough to think she'd still be talking to this man after a week of seeing him at breakfast.

I had the remaining days of the ballet season off, considering I had nothing left to do at the studio. Though, my mother was often out the whole day, she always offered to take me with her. Quite frankly, I think she was getting concerned all I wanted to do was lay around and watch the television.

"Adeline, I'm going to the store to get things for dinner. James and Harry are joining us so let them in if they come when I'm gone." My eyes went wide at the mentioning of Harry. I leaped from the couch and over to where my mother stood in the hallway mirror, fixing her lipstick.

"Mother, don't you think it's a little, well, strange to have Harry over again? I mean, we saw him twice last week." I tried to reason with her, though she payed little attention and smudged her red lips.

"Nonsense. Harry is dropping off some books for James and it would be rude not to invite him to stay." Mother attempted to silence me.

"But he's odd."

"Adeline, is there something you're not telling me? Adeline, did I overstep with bringing him in the house? Does he make you feel unsafe?" My mother's tone was suddenly worried, turning to me with wide eyes as she was trying to protect the only child she has.

"No, no! Mother he's nice but I just, I don't know." I responded honestly. It was never this hard figuring out a feeling in my head before.

She stared at me for a minute, the crease between her brows signifying her worry. It wasn't long before she sighed and brushed my face with her palm, a look of sympathy washing over her soft features. "Then he'll be over for dinner."

"But-"

"But nothing, Adeline. We are having company over, dress nicely." She was out the door as quickly as she said that, leaving me confused in the hall. She always had the narrative written for me- that I would be overly cautious of men because of what my father did to her. She wasn't completely in the wrong, but I would be lying if I said I don't test a man. On some level, I felt guilty for my mother. She hadn't had regular company like this in a long time but to be fair, I liked James.

And I hated to admit I maybe liked Harry more.

It was a preposterous thought that I shoved to the back of my head with a shiver.

*

The doorbell startled me, nonetheless and interrupted my episode of Power-puff Girls. I jogged to the doorbell, a red lolly in between my lips.

"Well hello, Adeline Rose."

I hadn't even opened the door fully to hear Harry's deep voice utter my name. Settling the red candy in my mouth, I waved, inviting him in. He walked perfectly confident down the hallway.

"I called your mother to say I was stopping by a little earlier and she said she was at the store but you were home and could answer the door." He announced, standing near the kitchen table, not breaking eye contact with me. I simply nodded, taking the lollipop out of my mouth and in between my fingers.